kataomoi

Furniture layout for an awkward open floor plan

kataomoi
12 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The living/dining area of our apartment has a very open floor plan. From the very small entryway area, you can see all the way through the space to the bedroom entrance. An awkward pillar juts out into the space and can't be removed. Not visible in the floorplan is a fairly low beam (the bottom of which is just slightly higher than the height of an average door) which originates from the pillar and cuts across the space to the opposite wall. In this space we need to zone out a dining area and a sitting/TV area. Our primary dilemma is where to position the TV as that will inform further decisions on the furniture layout. Existing furniture we would like to keep and work with if possible are a 3-seater sofa (about 90" length), and a 4-foot round dining table with 4 chairs. We are open to the use of built-ins if the design calls for it. As we own the place, architectural modifications are also possible if really needed. The floorplan measurements are given in millimeters. It is accurate except that we combined the Main Bedroom and Bedroom 2 to form one large bedroom, and sealed off the previous Main Bedroom door. The result is that it is now a single long wall from the kitchen entrance to the Bedroom 2 entrance. Would love to hear some suggestions from the Houzz community. Thanks!

Comments (5)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.