rubypumps

Clueless on rug color! Help me find my perfect rug!

rubypumps
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago
Hi everyone, I've a mint family room, white dining set, grey couch and grey curtains.

I am so clueless on rugs, should i go with solid color, prints, lines? What colour should I go for?

Any pictures to help me get some idea would be appreciated!!!

P/S: we're removing the step ladder once we have time to go search for a coffee table.

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Shelley Scales Design Associates
    5 years ago
    Hi Rugby Pumps,
    You are so lucky to have such a big space! You are correct! you need the right area carpet to pull the whole thing together. I love the way you handled the TV wall.

Now you need to do the following:
    Establish your Budget: Carpets vary in price according to their content of fiber, both thickness and the type. Wool carpets in the 8 x 10 sizes will run you between $4000 and $10000 dollars- each one made by hand. Sisal carpet could cost as low as $200. Big box stores say $500 to $1200. But in my shopping I have found some incredible sources for rugs.

You will need to put an underlay under it so it will not slip - the carpet company will supply that. Its around $250

Do you have animals? I ask that because a client of my let her cats destroy her oriental and it needs to be repaired now which will cost around $500 to cut and re bind the edges
    Area carpets are sometimes an investment. for a home owner, it is also considered art on the floor.

Determine what size: By counting the tiles it looks l like an 8 x 10 or 8 x 12 will work.

If you are on a budget I will suggest Flor:
    You can do some really cool and funky things with Flor. Its a carpet tile that you design with your own sizes and patterns and colors. Its very inexpensive relative to wool but its only nylon - made from recycled carpet. You can order online with the help of their designers.

I will add some images of some beautiful and inexpensive carpets. For a bit more info on this you can go to my facebook page at www.facebook.com/shelleyscalesdesignassoc

Good luck!
    rubypumps thanked Shelley Scales Design Associates
    Best Answer
  • Ann
    5 years ago
    There are so many colors you could add to the room with the gray drapes and furniture, but the mint walls interfere a bit with some of your best options. With gray, I love yellow, orange, red, lime green and also calmer colors like tan and brown. I think you could inject some nice color with a rug, but the mint is a bit problematic. Pics are just to show nice colors with gray rather than rug choices.
    [houzz=
    Funky and Fun Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Coastal Home · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Newport · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Michelle's Master Bedroom. · More Info
    ]
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago
    OK, but before we get to the rug, let's address your curtains and your layout. You have a contemporary media cabinet hung on a traditional panel wall, a contemporary sofa, a step ladder for a side table (I suppose that would be eclectic), and these heavy, traditional (and dated) drapes.

I think you need to decide which direction you want to go before you select a rug.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago
    I've looked at your living room ideabook, and you don't seem to have a clear vision there. Let me see what I can do to make your space more coherent. I'll return in a bit with visuals.
  • Ann
    5 years ago
    I think it would certainly help the look of the drapes to remove the tie backs.
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    5 years ago
    Love your funky cushions ....please keep your little stepladder ...even if you just use it for
    Plants or books .....replacing it elsewhere .... Yes eclectic /whimsical is good ....and you seem to be heading that way ..with some aspects of your room ...groveraxie will come up
    With some good ideas.........
    along with the visuals for sure
  • Reidun Brown
    5 years ago
    I would pick a burgundy rug, and make it a focal, since the rest is in neutral or none intrusive colors. Thereafter pick up some frames, pictures or glass objects that matches rug color, even a mint vase could make your room pop!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago
    Sorry I had to replace your whole window AND your view (which looks fabulous, btw; you should show it off), but something simpler like these shades would be more fitting.

For colors, I chose a bold trellis pattern charcoal rug with rust accents.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago
    If I could move furniture, I'd move your sofa back about 2 feet. The room is huge, and you need to remember that scale is crucial in a room this size.
  • jen046
    5 years ago
    Grover is right. There isn't much clarity as to your style. I'm looking at the pillows and sheep on the couch as what I think may be the most personal expressions of you in the room, and I'm seeing whimsical country.

This rug might span the country and straight, modern lines in your furnishings. I'm worried that going for too bright in the rug color will look odd unless you add other bright accents. This rug is calm.

http://houzz.com/photos/12403026
  • jen046
    5 years ago
    Another idea to bring in the red on the couch.

http://houzz.com/photos/14429572
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    5 years ago
    If you want to save money, you can remove the tassels to update the drapes to meld with a mix of style choices going on here.

Your room seems to be Monochromatic with small touches of contrast accents.
    Do you want ...
    Monochromatic?
    Soothing, Subtle, Soft?
    Contrast color by using small doses of bright bolder accents in - Pillows, art or Accessories?
    Electic Mix?
  • jen046
    5 years ago
  • jen046
    5 years ago
    Says it's round, but looks rectangular to me.

http://houzz.com/photos/14577068
  • Rina
    5 years ago
    I like Grover's blinds and Jen's pastels .... the blinds are something you might have to budget for in the future, but for now, let your curtains hang straight. I suspect even with the blinds you will be happier with some drapery on the windows. But my goodness, it's a beautiful room. Congratulations. And let your sheepery rule!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago
    This tree art from our own Kat Shoa would look great with this color scheme. So would the black Noguchi table and the perfect piece of McCoy pottery.
  • anne dee
    5 years ago
    this blue grey rug might look nice. simple
    Surya Shibui SH-7406 Blue Gray Mint 5' x 8' Rug · More Info
  • PRO
    B Bargains
    5 years ago
    please visit to get this at http://handcrafts.houzz.com/projects and see the rugs there , you will get this type of more beautiful rugs there
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    5 years ago
    You already have your accent colour as your sofa pillows (log roll pillows). I would take one of them shopping with me to get a rug that has that colour in it. It doesn't need to be a lot of that colour (I love the idea of burgandy rug here...but it might be too much with your monotone scheme). You can find a large rug that incorporates that red/raspberry in it so that you have a colour that is now your accent.
  • Geneviève
    5 years ago
    Solid Faux Silk Taffeta Dahlia Curtain Panel · More Info

Surya Paddington PDG-2013 8'x11' Eggplant, Grey Rug · More Info

Stonington Gray HC-170 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • PRO
    K&N Sales
    5 years ago
    Hello Rubypumps
    I think you should go with a solid color rug, like a dark red, plum, color that match your couch pillows. So that can be your accent color.
  • PRO
    The Persian Carpet
    5 years ago
    You could so many ways it's hard to know where to begin! Here's two I saw this past week-end at the NY rug show that would work, but I bet I have 20 others here that would be perfect too. The question is do you want bold and contemporary or subtle and traditional.
  • PRO
    B Bargains
    5 years ago
    please visit to get this at http://handcrafts.houzz.com/projects
    and see the rugs there , you will get this type of more beautiful rugs there
  • sheilaskb
    5 years ago

I love mint green and grey, and I think your color scheme is beautiful. I would suggest you go to a reputable store that sells area rugs and find a print rug with dark grey and mint green in it. You might even find a carpet remnant that a dealer can bind for you.

• kimberlysc
    5 years ago
    I would go neutral with rug but add lots of texture. pb has a wool and jute gray rug that is lovely. I would use color in artwork.
  • Caroline
    3 years ago

Don't even ask what came over me...The rug is Kazakh, though. I altered it wi sliders in photoshop, reducing saturation, mainly, but making it more teal/aqua.
    Then I redecorated!

Color Themes · More Info

Singapore
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.