jimmylee1974

wood flooring for small bedroom - long straight planks or small herrin

jimmylee1974
9 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi guys, I love the feeling of wood flooring. i have always wanted a matt wooden floor finish, preferable with lighter colour wood. As i have a dog, i will use the wood only in my bedrooms. As my bedroom is small, should i use a long wooden Oak plank design (a lotmore expensive), or small teak strips laid in herringbone pattern? Which one will give me a more spacious feel? Any thoughts? Jimmy

Comments (5)

• PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    I would go with the long wooden oak plank - gives more an ample feel

Thanks,
    J Design Group, luxury residential interior designs - South Beach - Williams Island - South Miami - Pinecrest - Miami - Coral Gables - Sunny Isles - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    Long straight. Herringbone very dated.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    Herring bone is beautiful but expensive to install. Teak is a little darker than oak so if the room is small then you will want to work with the lightest wood = oak. Oil finish will offer low gloss with a beautiful silky/velvety appearance that keeps the wood looking very natural. Easy to repair by the homeowner if scratches occur. Low traffic areas (like bedrooms) can have finish reapplied every few years...depending on wear.

A low gloss polyurethane will do the same thing...but some people complain of "foot prints" being visible on the matte poly finish. Turns out the oils from the skin/socks is shinier than the matte finish = foot prints.
  • jimmylee1974
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for your feedback. I live in singapore, so the laying of teak strips in herringbone is not expensive, at least less expensive than having long oak plans.

teak is common and less costly here, however, I don't quite like the dark tone.

I have preference for long plank oak in light colours :)
  • grandmajim
    9 years ago
    If herringbone is cheaper to install in Singapore why not use it for all your floors. Continuity can make your place look bigger. Find a hardy finish and your dog probably won't hurt it. It will get marked from general use anyway so don't be concerned. That design is considered out of date in some places but maybe not there.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.