max_tay

Total Transformation of a 30-year-old Derelict Apartment into a Groovy

Max Tay
11 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The homeowner sought out my services after coming across one of my previous work featured in a local design magazine. It was something of a challenge for me because the apartment was in a deplorable state when I 1st viewed it! The 30-year-old apartment had been rented out to various tenants over the last decade and very sadly, the abuse was showing. Paying homage to the age of the apartment and the homeowner’s love for bright funkily coloured objects sourced from various flea markets around the regent, we set out to put together an interior that’s greatly influenced by the Austin Powers movies! With a tight budget, we focused most of the built-in carpentry work in the kitchen and bedroom wardrobe area. Not surprisingly, bright funky colours takes center stage throughout the apartment. To give the living area an interesting focus, I painted ribbon strips of brown, orange and yellow that draws the eyes across the pristine white background. Painting the strips in glossy enamel paint allows them to further pop out from the matt emulsion paint on the walls! To complete the look, I designed a free-formed ceiling cut-out in bright orange and a good polish returned the marble flooring to its glory days! Built-in carpentry installed over a decade ago has not stood the test of time. Existing floor and walls tiles in the bathrooms and kitchen were cracked and broken in numerous areas. Leakages and spalling concrete ceiling in the bathrooms was simply horrible! However, amongst all these nightmares, the homeowners and I agreed that the one redeeming element of the apartment was the fabulous marble flooring in the Living Area. Not surprisingly, the marble flooring was the only thing we kept during the demolition works!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Great job! thanks for sharing.
  • nasafemme
    11 years ago
    Amazing transformation!
  • Amy Burke
    11 years ago
    Outstanding!! I am floored at the before and after photos. Great job!
  • Emily H
    11 years ago
    Whoa!! I can't believe that is even the same place. Incredible!
  • Max Tay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, guys! Your comments really made my day :D
  • PRO
    Innovative Design Build
    11 years ago
    That is really cool, I love the orange, yellow, and brown paint job
  • Kenna
    11 years ago
    Wow. The restoration is incredible. It amazes me to see the before and after pics, and how perfect & clean it is now, when obviously it was a very challenging project! Although the colors & furnishings are way too retro for my taste, the overhaul itself is fantastic!
  • Jane Fowler
    11 years ago
    wow~~~
  • PRO
    Creative Edge Carpentry, LLC
    11 years ago
    Wow! I feel like I've been transported back to the early 80's! I had the same design that is on the walls,on my dorm room comforter! ;o)
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Grovey!
  • Sharon Cameron
    11 years ago
    Really well done. Great spaces.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Blast of the Past!!! Awesome Dude-Totally!!!
  • PRO
    Terri-Jo Geddes
    11 years ago
    I applaude your efforts! Well done!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    That's amazing! Were the ribbon strips difficult to paint?
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    Awesome!
  • photogirlla
    11 years ago
    Totally cool, wonderful job, great before-and-after photos!!!
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    11 years ago
    This is awesome! Cheers to you!
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Pretty amazing work! Wow!
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Beautiful job :)
  • PRO
    Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Fantastic--love that you picked a personalized theme and ran with it all the way through!
  • Max Tay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Floored by your comments....like totally!
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    11 years ago
    OMG, brilliant!
  • kittiecollins
    11 years ago
    Groovy Baby! Love it! I think if you are going to have a strong look like this, you have to go the whole hog to pull it off, otherwise it just looks like a bad take on a 'theme'; you nailed it, very well done!
  • kittiecollins
    11 years ago
    Groovy Baby! Love it! I think if you are going to have a strong look like this, you have to go the whole hog to pull it off, otherwise it just looks like a bad take on a 'theme'; you nailed it, very well done!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    OHHH BEEE HHAAVVEE!!! It's FAAABBBulous BAby!!!
  • PRO
    Trit House
    7 years ago

It's amazing! Great job!

• bansuting
    7 years ago
    From gloomy to lively!
  • yeotl2000
    7 years ago

how much did it cost?

• PRO
    SUGARBAKERS
    7 years ago

wow !! Thats retro shagalicious !!! Love it !! Well done !! What a transformation.... Love your ideas..... Would love to see more of your work.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.