ian_philliskirk

Hand Painted on Site or Sprayed in the factory ?

Ian Philliskirk
9 years ago
A Question I often get asked is what is the difference between Factory finish painted, and hand painted on site. I believe hand painting on site gives a softer finish which sits better with traditional furniture, you can calk the joins between the units, skirting , cornice etc before Painting . This eliminates the black lines and the furniture feels like its all one piece . When you are using painted furniture in a Contemporary design the smooth sheen of a factory finish works better. The units to the side of the Burr Walnut unit are factory finish. The Farmhouse kitchen is hand Painted.

Comments (13)

• Matthew Decorator
    9 years ago
    On site is more appropriate, the only advantage I find to factory painted is time saving as it can come in pre primed and under coated

Recently saw a client had a bookcase built into the centre of a room, pre painted and laminated. Looked ok. Fired it and naturally there was a gap around the top. Looked two-tone with the decorators caulk
  • PRO
    Ian Philliskirk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I normally have them delivered in primer and we Paint them on site
  • PRO
    CH Interior Design
    9 years ago
    I think it depends on the overall look you are wanting to achieve. I work with both types of painted finishes, but generally I go for factory finished if I'm looking for a very modern, sleek and durable finish.
    However for many of my residential projects I find that clients tend to prefer the softer, more hand finished approach. But to reinforce what I previously said, this has also tended more towards the projects of traditional and vernacular design rather than more modern interior projects I've undertaken.
  • PRO
    Exploit Space
    9 years ago
    Myself and another Houzzer have been having a similar discussion in parallel. Thought I'd share. https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/looks-great-how-do-you-achieve-the-seamless-look-dsvw-vd~2886174 I agree with all the comments above BTW
  • PRO
    Exploit Space
    9 years ago
    Do you guys use any kind of on-site drying rack??
  • PRO
    Ian Philliskirk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    we set up a table as we only hand paint on site
  • Matthew Decorator
    9 years ago
    Couple of trestles when I'm priming ;). Old school

That being said in the last 2 years my company has moved more towards priming about 90% of products that arrive on site
  • PRO
    Exploit Space
    9 years ago
    The reason I ask is I wanted to find a collapsible rack for site work, found nothing so made this (see photo) Its does the job but its a bit of a beast to store at home (trestles take a bit of beating!!! ;-) )
  • PRO
    LWK London Kitchens
    9 years ago
    Hi all,

Some great advise has been given.
    I agree with the comments above, it depends on the finish you are looking for. If you want a more traditional finish I would paint on site, this gives a lovely hand painted finish with the brush strokes adding to the overall design of the kitchen.
    If you are looking for a more modern look to your kitchen, the factory finish will give a more flat finish with no brush strokes. Manufactures tend to lacquer the door using a spray to paint the furniture, giving a more uniform finish.

Hope this helps, keep us posted on how you get on.
    All the best,

The team at LWK
  • PRO
    Freebird Interiors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Jon, I use the budget drying rack from Gibbs Sandtech in our workshop. Never needed one on site but I think it's what you're looking for. We fully pre-paint our shelving unit components in the workshop, and pre-assemble in the workshop, then the only painting on site is after installing and caulking - a final finish coat. We use water based paint, applied by mini foam roller.

• PRO
    Exploit Space
    8 years ago

Thanks QDS, I just looked at the Gibbs Sandtech site, they have some great stuff I'm going to give then a call monday

• PRO
    Maite Alegre Home
    8 years ago

Hand painted is more expensive! It is made with time, thought and love, so it looks amazing!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.