rubypumps

Cement 'growing' in bathroom floor, help!

rubypumps
8 years ago
I don't know if this even make sense, but cement is growing out my bathroom floor tiles, and starting to grow in my wall tiles.

Check out the pictures, we didn't have the whitish cement on the floor when we move in 8 months ago. What is happening? How can I remove them?

Comments (7)

• hortonhearsawho2013
    8 years ago
    Get it checked out sooner rather than later!
  • rubypumps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm not sure about salt, where did the salt from from then ? I managed to scrap it off with a screw driver though, but it's just so bizarre.
  • rubypumps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Btw what do you mean by the shower is not water tight? Should I be worried about the piping works?
  • crowningfashion
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    It looks as if you have something crumbling behind the tiles. It could be the porcelain or the wall. This once happened to me. I paid for a professional to insert a gas fire into the fire breast. Consistently we had what looked like rubble falling down the chimney. No one knew what it was and we were baffled. Then one day we had the chimney swept by an amazing chimney sweep who informed us the wall prep behind the fireplace hadn't been done properly and what was falling down was the brick and rubble which was behind and had not been cleared properly. He said it wasn't a big deal and not dangerous so we left it, although it was an inconvenience having to clean it up every day particularly in bad weather. I would advise asking a tiler to come and have a look. Maybe your bathroom tiles need sealing, maybe water is getting in. If the tiler doesn't know ask a surveyor, he may not have the answer but he will know which trade to point you in the direction of. It could simply be a case of the walls not being prepped properly before the tiles were put up. Any which way, if a large tile which could potentially fall off a wall it needs to be checked because if it landed on you it could do serious damage or cause further tile damage which would make the job of rectifying more expensive.
  • PRO
    Stone & Marble Diretto Ltd.
    8 years ago
    ....hmm...might suggest it looks like 'lime scale' try with some diluted brick cleaner, carefull it is an acid! so be aware to read the instruction.
    it should babble straight away when you are going to put it on top and if you leave it there for 15-20 seconds you should remove it with a brush.....it will clean the rest of the grout as well if you leave it for long so wash it off with a good shower!
  • minnie101
    8 years ago
    http://inspectapedia.com/Wet_Basements/Effloresence_White.htm Hi. I'd look up articles on efflorescence salts as per Jonathan's comment. I wouldn't remove it and would get it looked at properly to determine if this is what it is.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.