tracy_nagel7625352

Ahh! Too much electronics! Help?

Tracy Nagel
8 years ago
We *coughhusbandcough* have waaay too many electronics at our TV console.. 3 game consoles with their controllers, giant floor speakers, receiver, etc, you name it! We have to keep all of these and try to work with what we have.

The hanging wires are going to be organized and put in a white trunk thing on the wall to hide them a little but any other ideas are welcome too.

We're planning to put a couple of floating wall shelves above the TV, offset slightly, and place some books, pictures, decorations, maybe a small trailing plant on it. Hopefully that will help to distract the eye away from this monstrosity.

Any other ideas on what we can do to help minimize the visual impact of the electronic clutter? Please help in the name of sanity and marital harmony ;).

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Boyce Lumber & Design Center
    8 years ago

A cabinet designer may be able to help you come up with a reasonably priced (no, really!) custom entertainment center complete with floating shelves, etc. As my *coughhusbandandsoncough* also are electronic-happy, I absolutely feel your pain! There are some great options out there and you can end up with something stylish, functional, and they can still have their playtime/space. Good luck!

Tracy Nagel thanked Boyce Lumber & Design Center
  • Tracy Nagel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Totally forgot to mention we are renting and move frequently so custom cabinets are a bit difficult.. I wish!!! ~_~. It needs to be relatively mobile. Thanks ~
  • Kayla
    8 years ago

Does he use all of them every day? I had the same issue with my husband.
    I recommend doing a Tv stand substantially larger than your TV, and going with something with doors. You can put all of his gaming systems inside and have the cords go up through the trunk or pipe or whatever you will use to corral cords, and can be attached as needed. The doors can be opened when he is using the gaming console, and shut when he is not playing games.
    As for a cable box, that will need to be on top, but using greenery can mask it a little bit.
    You could do a Floating Credenza, like this:
    http://www.ikeahackers.net/2013/05/diy-fauxdenza-from-ikea-kitchen-cabinets.html
    and store the speakers underneath so they are not immediately visible.

Tracy Nagel thanked Kayla
  • Mystic Home
    8 years ago

what a shame I can't suggest to paint the tv wall dark, cos it worked a treat for my huge tv. ask your landlord:)

LIVING ROOM MAKEOVER · More Info

Tracy Nagel thanked Mystic Home
  • Tracy Nagel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Kayla: I love IKEA hacking too! ;) Hiding the game consoles is definitely a possibility; I can't put the speakers in a cabinet though.. It's a deal breaker for the hubs. Invest in a high quality sound system, the speakers have to be out for acoustic reasons. If only I had known that before I agreed so easily.. ;-/

@groveraxle: I love that example! You're probably right about the shelves.. there's already too much going on on that wall! I'll look into wall art instead. ;) And yes! Now I realize that part of what was annoying me was that crazy up down profile. I'll have to try and streamline it as much as possible. Maybe put one of the small rear speakers on the left with a trailing plant on top to hide it; a small end cabinet around the same height on the right for the other speaker and to make room to clear off the top of the console?

@Mystic Home: That's lovely!! Using electronics as a plant stand, vase to soften the look of that speaker, putting the speaker in an end cabinet.. genius! That might be the best (and cheapest) way to make everything "disappear". I can always paint it white again when we leave. I'll run it by the hubs and the landlord. Thanks ;))

thank you all keep the ideas coming! ~<3

• Mystic Home
    8 years ago

yes indeed you can always paint it white when you leave! I do believe that as long as wall is pale your tv will always stand out even if you put shelves, mine did even though I had a brass mirror and a skull around it, so I knew something else had to be done. Glad I could help.

Tracy Nagel thanked Mystic Home
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.