msasia

Anyone ever tried painting upholstery? Color suggestions for bedding

msasia
11 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello, I've always loved the look of French inspired upholstered headboards and was able to get this one for a steal; however, I'm really not loving the black wood and purple fabric, feels too heavy for the room. We are thinking of painting the fabric and wood a charcoal color; has anyone tried this before, tips, best techniques, suggested paint brands and color choices? Our preferred style is eclectic, and modern mixed with traditional pieces. I'm thinking of grey and yellow, or mint and grey for color choices and plan to keep the walls white. We live in a tropical climate and our room gets a loads of sunlight, would love the room to feel fresh, light and relaxing. Thanks!!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Try pairing the eggplant and black with a sage green...the contrast with the white is too stark...Tie it together with a gold toned rug on those sweet parquet floors.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI --Please don't do what your thinking of doing . The reason it feels heavy for the room is because the room is too light and has nothing around the bed .I think you should decorate the room so the bed will fit in , and look like it belongs there . Paint the room a soft grey that has a hint of lavender in it and add some dark wood side tables or some tables in a painted cream or light grey. Add some elegant vase base table lamps and some Art Also a rug ,-something in a wool in a cream color that has a texture and a bordered or bound edge. Anyway - I think you should work with the bed - it's beautiful . Painting it is going to ruin it's elegance and I think it is a silly idea .
  • PRO
    Kevin Twitty Interiors
    11 years ago
    That bed is fantastic! As far as painting. I would NOT paint the fabric. Most of the time fabric paints leave the fabric ruined and stiff. Your best bet to to reupholster. If you are unhappy and want a change, my suggestion is to sand the bed frame to give the wood some teeth and paint over it with a nice white painted look.

Elegant Hidden Hills Estate · More Info
  • gillianlf
    11 years ago
    Have you considered just reupholstering the headboard, It probably wouldn't be hugely expensive and you could even try it yourself; I'm sure there are tutorials online. Once the current fabric is off it would be a lot easier to paint the frame.

The fabric on yours looks silky do you know what it is. I've painted cottons like canvas with painters acrylics, but that could be expensive and time consuming. You could probably use latex since it is essentially a watered down version, but I don't think it would look very good and it would definitely be stiff. There is also fabric paint you can get at craft stores, but it would also take a lot and you should be careful that you weren't getting a product that creates a puffy look.
  • msasia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for all the comments, very helpful! I might just see the light (or dark) and keep the bed as is. On that note, any suggestions on bedding or curtains that could work? Feeling actually excited about trying to work with the purple ;)
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    11 years ago
    I find the black woodwork too harsh, but it won't be easy to paint that without touching the fabric.
    If you do paint the wood white/off white, the beautiful purple fabric would look much fresher than it does now and it will geive it a lovely elegant and relaxing feel.
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11 years ago
    Curtains for bedrooms are suggested to have a nice blackout, especially you mentioned your room is exposed to lots of sunlight.

Cheery Curtains has lots of nice curtains you may like and the blockout lining is available for each and every curtain design. Here attached are some curtain photos you may like (Mouse over the photos for a better view). For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page or contact me directly.
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11 years ago
    Follow my last post and some other curtain designs you may like
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Homemade chalk paint for the wood.

Requires no sanding or prep.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I don't think you would be satisfied with painting the upholstery due to the deep tufting of the headboard.
    Embrace your unique bed and dress it up with a wallpapered accent wall and eclectic linens.
    Summer Home on Martha's Vineyard · More Info
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.