evamtara

What kind of painting to put behind my chesterfield sofa?

evamtara
5 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Can anybody advise me what painting can go with my sofa n how big should the paintings be?thanks

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello Evamtara,

Have you looked at Tate online? They have a large selection of prints to buy if a gallery isn't in the budget... You can also find places that will print an image for you onto canvas... So if you wanted something personal like a photo you took.. This could be an idea... I like the whole film set/theatre lighting theme, so maybe abstract, architectural or filmic although that last one is not really original. Decide on framed or canvas... ... Wonder can you move the sofa just a little bit away from the window, same with the rug... Can't see the room but things need to have space round them... You want something to frame the sofa and wall.... Depending on the density of the image... I'd think at least a meter wide and height.. : ))

• PRO
    Benjamin Förster - Fashion For Home Hamburg
    5 years ago

Hello, i'd go with a rather large painting slightly less wide than the sofa or even better put some more smaller pictures on the wall in a kind of petersburg hanging covering all the space above the sofa. But use some more pictures and cover more wall space than e.g. shown in this picture:

http://www.fashionforhome.de/inspiration/wp-content/uploads/de_de/Hudson_Neu_900x400.jpg.

Regards Benjamin, interior consultant at Fashion For Home

• minnie101
    5 years ago

I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules but I think it needs to be probably at least half the width of the sofa to look good. In your case I would probably go for something 65-75% of the width of the sofa with maybe the height around 55-70% of the length. You could also try a large portrait style, the best thing to do is to cut out a template and hang it on the wall to see what you like as chesterfields are normally quite low. I'd also move the sofa slightly but are the ceiling lights positioned over the sofa? Hard to tell from the camera angle. I also thought of the Vintage film pics but maybe not original. My basement has a slight film theme with lighting ( actually I have a Chesterfield and cowhide too!) and I have large black and white pics of movie stars but not from film clips ie the iconic Michael Caine shot taken by David Bailey. I also love vintage travel posters, I know they've been around for quite a while now but you could find a destination that means something to you. Or look at industriał style art with a pop of colour. Or an abstract with pops of colour.

Singapore
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.