lschonauer

9 year old daughter's bedroom

lschonauer
8 years ago
Hello design community , I need your help with my daughter's bedroom. We recently removed the carpet and installed whiskey maple hardwood flooring , painted her entire room Sherwin Williams "possibly purple" and painted stripes on one wall in SW "forget me not". Her current furniture is the same color as the wood flooring to I am thinking of painting it white for contrast with gold hardware . She also has a headboard in the same color I will paint white .She has a full size bed I was thinking of putting along the stripped wall. The room is small ( 12x12). Any ideas on furniture placement , curtains , bedding , furniture paint color are greatly appreciated ! Please excuse the mess in the pictures and thank you!

Comments (20)

• inkstains
    8 years ago

The stripes and color are so fun! Going white on the furniture would be pretty, and seems appropriate for 9 years old, but I wonder if it will feel too young in the next year or so for her. Maybe leave it the same color as the flooring and go with some "young" accents that can be easily switched out as she gets a little older to help the room transition from little girl to little lady? Say white and yellow poufs/pillows/curtains/rugs, to bring out the white and gold?

lschonauer thanked inkstains
  • Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think I would introduce a third color, which will make decorating easier and turquoise is complimentary and feels youthful. White roman blinds or drapery and then look for turquoise accents - polka dots, stars, layering of the bed and a great piece of art and a striped rug would be fun. You could paint her side table turquoise and maybe leave the rest of the furniture natural. I find that painted furniture in a child's room does chip and wear, so leaving natural on most pieces will save you in the long run...you could add great knobs on the dresser.

Eclectic Kids · More Info

• lschonauer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I appreciate these tips !!! I love the color ideas and am wishing I had not already started painting the headboard white and left the furniture natural . I just thought it felt so dark with all the wood. Probably would have been better to paint the headboard turquoise . Great ideas guys!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    One wall of stripes are enough. Good job. Her bedding should be layered using colors from walls. Use a lot of pillows. A Crystal chandelier Instead of a fan would be nice.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    Hard to see rom. But the bed could go on striped wall. Painting furn white up is good. But no gold. Yes crystal knobs instead. Make her room glam. A big silver sunburst mirror over bed. Hang 6-7" above headboard. On windows go a gruzy fabric in white. Make it full cover whole window floor to ceiling. Add end tables with tall white shades with a lucite or crystal base. TJMax or IKEA carry. Add dresser on opposite wall. Add art over it. Big. IKEA has some fun things.
  • tfswest
    8 years ago

Kids like to put lots of stuff on their walls, so three solid-color walls are a good idea to absorb that, and let the stripes be their own thing. I like the idea of pale yellow accents suggested above, maybe switching in a few years as she gets older to pale blue or pale green. But... by then she'll have plenty of opinions of her own! Seems like you are having great fun with it!

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    Don't start second guessing yourself. You have great ideas trust yourself. Let your daughter be part of it.
  • David Cavanaugh
    8 years ago
    I like the idea of light furniture. I would ax the gold trim. To make the room fun, I would choose drapes that brought in all the colors in the room plus some. Adding warmer colors in the accessories and bedding would add more energy and fun!

I totally agree with a previous commenter about making your daughter part of the process. Even if she picks out something hideous, if she loves it,it is worth it. 20 years from now you won't remember a thing about a perfect room. You will remember your daughter's excitement and love for her room. These years are precious and enjoyed to the fullest. Those memories are what get you through the teenage years!
    lschonauer thanked David Cavanaugh
  • Denise Marchand
    8 years ago

Love that you are not trying to make the room too sophisticated for your daughter. I agree with letting her be included, but if she's not interested, don't push it.

Girls need storage: IKEA cubbies for all those little things

Think of painting the furniture a color instead of white. Taupe hi gloss would look good and allow for any bedding. Or a pale robin's egg blue. It will be colorful and edgy. See pics below for inspiration.

Get a large ornate mirror at a yard sale and paint it a darker version of what you paint the furniture. Must have a large mirror!

If you don't want stuff tacked up all over, you have to provide a place to do it. The Container Store, and I think Staples, has a metal stripe with cork for push pins. Line it up and do an entire wall.

Add some removable decals to the striped wall: Butterflies, birds, whatever your daughter likes.

I also like good old fashioned chalkboard and color chalk. In my son's room, many moons ago, I had a 15" high chalkboard and the tack strip under it running the full length of the wall. There was a small rectangular table perpendicular off that wall creating a "desk" with a rolling chair on both sids of the desk. He loved it.

Have fun and don't forget to tell us what you did!

lschonauer thanked Denise Marchand
  • lschonauer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You all have offered some amazing ideas ! I did get a bit ambitious and painted the furniture a slight off white and added new hardware . My dilemma now is 1) what to put on the wall behind her bed 2) what if anything should I do on the wall opposite the window 3) window coverings. I love the suggestion to add floor to ceiling white curtains and the mirror . The idea of painting the furniture a color is fantastic ... But I already painted white - yikes! She wants a chandelier but our area can get VERY warm in the summers so a ceiling fan is a must . I did find some great LED lettered lights in a rustic brown. I painted the "S" gold and am thinking of painting the rest and putting them on her wall behind her bed. Thoughts ? I have it mapped out with paper in the picture .
  • lschonauer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Additional pics
  • PRO
    Sprout, Quark Enterprises
    8 years ago

What do you think about this style of furniture?
    http://sprout-kids.com/

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Candice Olson Little Girl's Bedroom · More Info

I love the way the furniture turned out. It is soo fresh in the room.

I found this picture of a little girls bedroom. It has some items you said you wanted to add to your daughters room.

The chandelier. I think you should install one; they are soooo pretty and girlie.

Floor to ceiling curtans in a print with a lot of colors and purple, and a coordinating print on a pillow, or a chair cushion, or a footstool for sitting, or a bench under the window. Also a light colored rug with only shades of purple in it mostly light pattern and color for a bit of contrast.

lschonauer thanked Susan Davis
  • Denise Marchand
    8 years ago

I love Candice Olson's designs and miss her on HGTV. She always adds sophistication and whimsy. Love this room, soosun2. Notice the ceiling design - looks like raised letters for quotes and painted out white. Brilliant. I might have to steal this idea for my next kids room design project! This is a wonderful way to say "girl's room: without dripping in sweetness. Good find.

• lschonauer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree, Candice Olson's designs fit my style perfectly. Thank you for the additional suggestions. I ended up ordering a white sheer curtain with purple lined pom-poms. I have a feeling they may be too plain. I'll post a picture of the room when complete.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Hey it is all about trial and error, right, but the hunt is the fun part I think! The bedroom is darling for your daughter; just need the finishing touches.

If you sew I found this online from a fabric house at one dollar a yard? Might be a source you might want to pursue and have curtains made? Click on more info

Ladbroke Geranium Purple Lime Green Blue Jacobean Paisley Floral Linen Fabric · More Info

Regarding the Candice bedroom, she ordered a laminate decal and had the design transferred by pressing the plastic sheeting and it left the lettering on the ceiling. I think you can order this type of product online? She surrounded it with, of course, custom plaster ceiling medallion. Go Candice! She once did a girls bedroom with MDF stylized cut outs of a flower and painted the petals, leaves, and hung that on the ceiling and hung a chandelier from it. I think it is archived in her bedroom book? I love Candice and copy freely! She is amazing; I try to find her reruns on hgtv. Ithink they were too cheap to get her show continued in the US. But in my area they do reruns on Monday morning at like 5 AM so I just set her show to record. It works! She is still on in Canada so some of her new stuff is shown and a lot of her old stuff is shown. fyi

lschonauer thanked Susan Davis
  • lschonauer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good to know! She is so creative - I just searched her on youtube and it appears she has a lot of short tips and tricks! Thanks to you I can reconnect with her style.

• Denise Marchand
    8 years ago

I had to dash over to the site for this wonderful fabric. $1 yd is just for the sample. However, it is still reasonably priced at $21.99 yd.

Thanks for the info on Candice.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Oh that makes me feel like I did a good deed today. The fabric is fab and honestly it just poppled up under purple white print with other colors......Houzz is amazing! Keep us posted!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.