annelouiseleonore

Building my first house at age 74.

Anne Leonore
8 years ago

OK, I know what you're thinking: at that age you should be getting rid of stuff and Here she just starting out.
But my husband and I have spent years trekking in the jungles of Indonesia collecting primitive art and we have five storage bins full of stuff, some of whicjhwe've never even seen! Not just stuff, really, all special things at least to us.

The big fly in this ointment is that we both love rococo: You know what I mean: elaborately carved furniture with gilt, enamel on the walls, velvet fabrics etc.

Doesn't really go with primitive totems and spirit boats, right?

but I'm determined to blend these two styles: I already have some intricately carved massive chairs and a couch we had made in Bali that seems to go with some Louis XV furniture that we have.

oh. I forgot to mention the plum colored 6 foot tall fireplace from the 17th century that we are putting in the living room and a tapestry made in 1673 that I see going in the dining room

my plan is to unite it all partly by using that pale green paint from Benjamin Moore we are all talking about (can't remember the name of it).

but I am not a decorator. Does anybody know of any good books I can buy that will help me understand decorating basics?

The house is 8000 ft.² so I have a Lot of room to play around in.

please don't tell me I am too old. That is Soooo yesterday :).
Thanks for all your help Houzzers. You are all wonderful.

Anne Louise Leonore

Comments (21)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.