jeannette10

Different rocks on each side of a dry creek bed ?

jeannette10
8 years ago

Hello

I am trying to design the front yard of a small rental house. I will have a dry creek bed (grey rocks) going from the back of the house to the sidewalk.
I want to cover the area with rocks on each side of the bed and have some ground cover plants that will eventually cover part of the rocks.
Do you think it would look ok to put different color rocks on each side of the bed ? It seems that one type of rock would be too uniform. Maybe black lava on one side and salt and pepper rocks on the other side.
Any suggestions welcome. This is in the central valley of California.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Garden Source Inc.
    8 years ago

We are from Pennsylvania and we are not familiar with California's landscape styles. We basically look at dry river beds in the area, observe how they look then match the design with the natural setting. You could try this too, its always good to look at the area then match the landscape so that way the landscape actually looks like it belongs there. Hope this helps!

jeannette10 thanked Garden Source Inc.
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    8 years ago

you refer to "grey rocks" but I don't see them. In order to answer the question about whether specific rocks will look good, I think you need to show samples of them.

• PRO
    Linda Greenberg Landscape & Design, LLC
    8 years ago

As a professional landscape designer, I recommend using a cream colored mixture of different sizes and a variation of cream from pebbles to river rocks, stones, to larger boulders possibility.

Linda Greenberg, APLD
    704-995-7173

linda@lglandscapes.net

jeannette10 thanked Linda Greenberg Landscape & Design, LLC
  • lazy_gardens
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Look at the local streambeds and copy them. Unless you find local black lava streambeds, don't try to make it work in your yard unless you are going for a totally modernistic unnatural look.

For a natural look, vary the size of the rocks, with some big ones anchoring the bends and interrupting the "stream", with smaller rocks.

This is a good one.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/210754457531720328/

You want to avoid the drainage ditch full of gravel look.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.