dottycat

Help! new Kohler Underscore BubbleMassage tub came leaking twice :(

Judy Nash
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My husband and I splurged and got the $4000+ Kohler Underscore tub with BubbleMassage + VibrAcoustic. However the tub arrived with leaks. Kohler agreed to send a new tub, but the second tub came leaking also!

After talking to local supplier and Kohler multiple times, we can only get credits to another Kohler tub but no refund.

At this point, our options are:

1) Order the exact same tub for the third time, hoping this is not a manufacturer issue that will cause the third tub to leak on arrival or shortly after.

2) Exchange the tub to Kallista Small Perfect tub with BubbleMassage. This will require redo the plumbing and framing already done for the 60 x 30 x 19 Underscore to 60 x 32 x 22 Kallista.

3) Continue to talk to Kohler or the local supplier into giving us a refund... somehow.

Anyone has experience with the Kallista or Kohler tub mentioned? What would you do in our shoes?

Comments (31)

• jellytoast
    8 years ago

It sounds like you will be redoing the framing regardless unless you go for the same tub a third time. If there wasn't another Kohler tub that I wanted, I would be pushing harder for the refund and/or look into disputing the transaction via the CC company. It's not like you simply changed your mind. You received two leaking tubs and have lost confidence in the product (I don't blame you).

• PRO
    Kohler
    8 years ago

Hi dottycat, we're sorry that you're having issues with your bathtub. We'd like to work with you on this. Please email our customer service team at KohlerCustServ@Kohler.com. Thank you!

• mikekellerva
    7 years ago

Yup, apparently a problem with this stupid model of tub (and I suspect the strike that Kohler had too late last year). Ours was delayed weeks because of the strike, it finally arrived with one of the control panels broken and inoperable (and in the end, the wrong one installed too we found out). After _7_ calls to Kohler support to get the right part (and they had to send us the one in the wrong color along with a new trim ring to swap out because they didn't even have the right one available), now after the third use, the tub leaked and flooded our kitchen, despite the plumbers having run it extensively on the install. They fixed that leak (which required tearing open a hole in the tile to reach), and now it leaks from two additional places. They have now offered to replace the tub (if _we_ return the couple hundred pound piece of junk to the place of purchase), but of course, it's undermounted under a quartz slab, so that's going to cost more than the price of the tub to replace. Unbelievable...and based on this, I'm doubtful a replacement would work anyway. Way to go, Kohler...glad we went with your products for their quality.

• PRO
    Hudson Smith Interiors
    7 years ago

I'm curious, are your Underscore tubs leaking from the air bubble part, or is it a leak in the main part of the tub? I was planning to purchase an Underscore soaking tub (no jets), and now wondering if I should be re-thinking this. It was so darn comfy, though!

• mikekellerva
    7 years ago

For us, it appears to be related to the air system. The first one (that was repaired) was in the outside of the tub on the back at about the height of the bubble holes - once the water level went over those holes, the leak started. The two new ones are from two different places where the pipes for the air go into the structure of the tub, again leaking once the water level goes above those holes. For us, part of the appeal of the bubble massage is we have had problems in the past at our prior house with a traditional whirlpool where the pump leaked, the explanation we had is the bubble system had a valve so water does not get into the piping so it would not have the chance to leak. Apparently that's not totally accurate...

• PRO
    Hudson Smith Interiors
    7 years ago

Thanks @mikekellerva! Good luck with your tub replacement.

• Judy Nash
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I believe it's a manufacture issue as well. Another person on Amazon also had an underscore leaked twice (see here). The salesperson we purchased the tub from is Kohler's No.1 tub Salesman in the nation & he has never sold any leaky tub until ours (but he has never sold our specific configuration neither).

@Hudson - For us both tubs were leaking from main tub body, not the air pump part (both are on the tub bottoms in different location). I won't buy the tub if I were you. A leaking tub is super costly and painful to fix. My husband and I had already spent an extra $3000, 20+ hours to work with Kohler & 5 months wait for new tubs to come in.

@mikekellerva - very very sorry to hear what happened to you. After reading your review, I am thankful to have the tubs leak on arrival instead of post-install.

At the rate Kohler tubs are failing, we might need to form a Kohler Tub Leaks Support Group.... :(

• Judy Nash
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This post has made Google's No.1 link when searching for "Kohler Underscore leaks". After I mentioned this to Kohler, Kohler gave me a full refund on the tub. I still ended up lost about $2000, but much better than what it would have been. If your underscore tub leaks, contact Kohler!

• Teresa Snyder
    6 years ago

Omg, I am so glad I found this site because we are currently dealing with a leaking problem from our Kohler tub that is only a year old! The whole bathroom remodel was such a pain and I was so excited to at least have my bubble Kohler tub installed and now the whole nightmare is beginning again! This tub is leaking to the downstairs floor of our house and also smells very bad when you run the bubble jets!! The first one we got sent to us Was damaged and so we had to wait weeks to get a replacement and now that I am experiencing these problems and hearing what others have Experienced as well, I will never buy from Kohler again! Kohler is supposed to be the leading product? I will never ever buy a Kohler product again because now I have to figure out a way to replace my tub that is surrounded by glass and tile to correct the problem! Leaving me with thousands of dollars to fix! Kohler sucks

• Samy Benalloul
    6 years ago
    Theresa what Kohler tubb do you have i am having the same problem what did you end up doing
  • Samy Benalloul
    6 years ago
    Mine is the Archer K- 1947G
  • Pam Franzman
    6 years ago

I am on my second underscore free standing air tub. Two of them have leaked My basement cieling and walls have been repaired three times now with a forth one needed. Kohler representative stated he would refund our money since Kohler had no replacement options. Now, Kohler says it is. Warranty issue and want to retrofit the drain. We are not happy with this option. We have requested a meeting with management of Kohler but this has fallen on deaf ears. So frusfrated, to spend so much money on a tub that it is obvious it has a design issue.

• PRO
    Studio 49 Home Design Group, LLC
    5 years ago
    I can add to this thread. We have a new build home and the builder installed the Kohler Archer 66” bubble massage tub in a rarely used guest bathroom. The black sealant material has failed so when you fill the tub just over the holes the water pours over the top. From what I have been told there is no fix. To replace the tub is a major projects that requires removing our tile and portions of the walls, trim, the toilet etc. As a designer I have specified a lot of Kohler product. Their response to this issue will impact my use of Kohler going forward.
  • Chris Sherman
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hello, I am experiencing the same exact issue as those above, we purchased a Kohler Underscore 72” drop-in tub with the air bubble massage. The first tub leaked into our downstairs dining room and filled the electrical box for our kitchen pendent lights with water whenever the tub water level reached the bubble holes. 5 months later, we finally received the 2nd tub, and it just started leaking too!!! I do not want to try a 3rd, every time a new tub is installed damage is left throughout the house from the subsequent leaks!

• Milan Kusic
    4 years ago

I am so disappointed and dont know what to do!!! Building a new house and just finished installing $3,300 Kohler underscore bubble tub. Spent serious money on the instalation, framing, electric work, plumbing work, installed cement board and rubber liner all around and topped it of with one piece quartz top! First test, filled the tub and it leaked right away!!! Ceiling on first floor messed up!!!

I wish i found this post earlier!

Called home depot and they told me to call Kohler on Monday...

• Milan Kusic
    4 years ago

I will have a serious claim to file with Kohler.

Who has experience dealing with them?

This will cost way more that the tub just to rip apart...

• Milan Kusic
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It leaks on the bottom, next to the drain, 2 leaking spots where wood is.

• Milan Kusic
    4 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

DO NOT, DO NOT BUY KOHLER!!!

Their products are overpriced garbage!!!

Caused us thousands of dollars in future repairs and changes!!!

I will sue Kohler for this! I will demand their finished products liability insurance!!!

DO NOT BUY KOHLER GARBAGE!!!

• Milan Kusic
    3 years ago

I AM HAVING THE WORST EXPERIENCE WITH KOHLER CUSTOMER SERVICE

JEREMY WAS WORKING WITH ME, HE DID NOT HELP IN ANY WAY!

CARMEN WESTERHAUSEN TOOK OVER, SHE IS NOT HELPING IN ANY WAY!

SHE TOLD ME I WAS DOUBLE DIPPING AND INSULTED ME!

SHE SAID SHE WOULD CALL ME AND SHE NEVER DOES!!! SHE EMAILED ME KOHLER LAWYER INFO!!!

• Milan Kusic
    3 years ago

CARMEN PROMISED SHE WOULD CALL, SHE NEVER DID

• Milan Kusic
    3 years ago

I CALLED CARMEN OVER 10 TIMES A WEEK AGO ON FIRDAY. SINCE THAN SHE DID NOTHING, NO RESOLUTION!!!

SHE IS HURTING MY FAMILY AND COSTING ME MORE MONEY AND TIME!!!

• Milan Kusic
    3 years ago

CARMEN DELIBERATELY PUSHED MY CASE TO LEGAL DEPARTMENT TO HURT ME MORE AND WASTE MORE TIME!!!

THIS IS VERY BAD AT THE WORST TIME!!! THANK YOU CARMEN!

I HOPE SOMEONE DOES THIS TO YOUR FAMILY AS WELL!

• Milan Kusic
    3 years ago

NOW, THE CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT DOESNT EVEN WANT TO TALK TO ME! THEY ARE DONE WITH ME AND I HAVE TO GO TO THEIR LEGAL DEPARTMENT!

THEY ARE DELIBERATELY DOING THIS PEOPLE.

SO IN FUTURE IF ANY OF YOU REQUEST LEGAL DEPARTMENT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE WILL DUMP YOU AND WASTE MORE TIME AND MONEY.

LEGAL DEPARTMENT THEY ONLY GIVE YOU AN EMAIL

mailto:chelsie.warner@kohler.com

GOOD LUCK WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE LIKE THIS!

• Milan Kusic
    3 years ago

I POSTED A BAD REVIEW ON KOHLER WEBSITE, GUESS WHAT, THEY DECIDED NOT TO PUBLISH IT! ANOTHER GREAT THING FROM KOHLER

• millworkman
    3 years ago

I would have pushed the issue harder with Home Depot but I also never would have purchased a tub like that from them in the first place.

• Milan Kusic
    3 years ago

THERE IS SO MUCH DAMAGE I CAN NOT EVEN DESCRIBE IT... THEIR TECHNICIAN EVEN REQUESTED WE CUT FLOORING UNDER THE TUB SO THEY CAN ACCESS IT...

I HAVE SHOWER FLOOR POURED AGAINST THE TUB SO IF I GET THE FRAMING OUT AND CHANGE THE TUB THAT IS GONE AS WELL....

HOME DEPOT SELLS IT, KOHLER IS THE ONE AT FAULT, THEY MAKE IT

• millworkman
    3 years ago

But you bought it from HD and getting no where with Kohler. I would be all over them. AND STOP YELLING (typing in all caps)...........................................

• M O
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just had the same issue with my Kohler underscore. We just set the tub and filled it with water and shortly I saw a slow leak start in the rear or the tub somewhere around the rear support leg. We got ours from Wayfair and when I called they said that they are sending a replacement. I sure hope I don't have the same problem again like you had. Framing was just done to work with this tub and we don't have many options.

• Mary L Nags
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Was planning on a wakkin tub purchase. Thanks Thanks for your experience. Wont buy.

• Mary L Nags
    2 years ago

Sad

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.