mrmartini

Need help with Scandinavian style for BTO

mrmartini
7 years ago

Hi guys, I'm moving in to my new BTO soon with wife and kids, and I want a Scandinavian style for my HDB flat. I am not sure about hiring an interior designer, but I am also not sure about what Scandinavian exactly means, besides being clean and minimalist.

Here are some ideas that I like, Can anyone else share some of their success stories in trying to apply Scandinavian style, and how to do it?

Skandi kitchen/family area · More Info

Scandinavian Home Office & Library · More Info

Frödingsvägen · More Info

Comments (5)

• oscolaidhe
    7 years ago
    Hi Mr Martini!

Congratulations on the new BTO!

Hiring a good interior designer will definitly help with designing your new home. And seeing that you are a family man, I imagine you would want as little hassle as possible. A good interior designer will listen to your ideas of how you want your home to look like, and make it happen as best as possible, taking into consideration your family's lifestyle, HDB limitations on renovation, your budget, etc.

While my husband and I did hire an interior designer for our resale flat, I unfortunately will not recommended them for they gave us more headache than I felt necessary for the tiniest of problems. So do ask around and see if anyone can recommend a good interior designer.

Back to your love for Scandinavian design! I was going for the Scandinavian style too only to later realise along the design process, that we were not loving the bland colours and minimalism and somehow, we managed to end up with a relaxing resort-themed home which we're loving.

In fact, a recent Houzz article tells us that the Scandinavian colour palette is moving away from pale cool shades which I find fun and refreshing. Here's the link:

Check out this story from houzz - http://houzz.com/sr/m=7/u=L2lkZWFib29rcy82NjU4MDg4NA==

Nevertheless, if bright pops of colour is not your thing, here's another article I found: 'Top 10 Tips for Ceeating a Scandinavian Interior':

http://freshome.com/2012/12/03/top-10-tips-for-creating-a-scandinavian-interior/

I feel this article breaks down the Scandinavian style so that it's easy to replicate, one aspect at a time. As a common design style in Singapore, I think most deisgners are now very familiar with this style so you shouldn't have any trouble achieving this style.

All the best, Mr Martini with this exciting (though sometimes exasperating!) project and do share photos of your new home if you can!

Katherine
    mrmartini thanked oscolaidhe
  • Chiquit Brammall
    7 years ago

Hi @mrmartini,

Congratulations on your new home! Here's a story that may help you decipher the style:

https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/so-your-style-is-scandinavian-stsetivw-vs~27227340

And here's an actual HDB designed in exactly this style: https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/houzz-tour-playful-scandinavian-design-in-a-4-room-hdb-flat-stsetivw-vs~64819601

Do keep us posted on the progress of your flat, we'd love to see the finished product!

mrmartini thanked Chiquit Brammall
  • mrmartini
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Chiquit, Katherine thanks so much for the links to the articles. It really is not easy to identify Scandinavian. Katherine, something about that Houzz article I find especially true. I love simplicity and neutral colours, but I find these designs very attractive:

Project #7 · More Info

so I'm not 100% certain if it's Scandinavian that Im looking for. but thanks for the help, will update.

• PRO
    Gallery 278 Pte Ltd by Esco Leasing Pte Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi Mr Martini, it's great that you've got your BTO and the Scandinavian style is simple and certainly timeless! In fact, we've recently launched our take on this with our Hart Range:

Hart Oval Dining Table

Hart Side Chairs

Hart Round NightStands (Set of 3)

Hart Cabinet: 2 Doors 3 Drawers

Hart 3 Seater Sofa

Hart Floor Standing Lamp I

and there's more here on display at our 3-storey-shophouse showroom: 278 River Valley Road S238319

Our in-house design team will also be most happy to assist you with putting the look together! Let us know how we may be of help.

Sara

Gallery 278 Pte Ltd
    +65 6737 2322
    mail@gallery278.com
    www.gallery278.com

• yeotl2000
    7 years ago

Hi Martini,

As Katherine pointed out, the colors are creeping in to Scandinavia looks rather than the typical plain neutral shades. I think there is no 'the" Scandinavia design but rather an evolving ones and I think you just need to go with some principles of more light, simple, uncluttered look concepts with more geometric shapes in your carpentry and furniture look. Nowadays you can get those wood like tiles which are white shades than typical wood color as well to give you some warm feelings.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.