charmainechoo

How to cat-proof your apartment?

Charmaine Choo
7 years ago

Hey everyone! I've been thinking of adopting a kitten recently, I've been thinking about it for a couple of years and I think I'm ready. But the only thing holding me back is my rental apartment.

I'm worried that the kitten might run outdoors into the balcony, or scratch the wooden doors, rip up my beanbags.

Can anyone share their experience on adjusting their new pets into their apartment and what are some of the ways you cat-proof your house? Are there any cat-friendly furniture out in the market that looks good and doesn't cost a bomb or require you to do any works to your current built-ins?

I'd really appreciate all the help I can get on this one!

Completed Work · More Info

Comment (1)

• Bernadette Staal
    7 years ago

The only way to truly cat proof a house is to not have a cat / kitten, so you need to get rid of some of your anxiety and be prepared to have a bit of damage e.g. they may claw your couches etc. Easiest tip is to never have net curtains as they will be the first to go. Some cats will also use bean bags as toilets because they make the same type of noise and feeling of kitty litter so be prepared for that.

I think you should consider getting an older cat. One from a rescue centre. Set it up with a lovely bed in the sun, allow it to see outside, have one if not two kitty litter boxes in the house and keep them clean.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.