webuser_876633

Budget for 5 Room HDB Reno

Christal Lee
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We're planning on applying for our BTO and we're setting aside a budget $30,000 budget for a 5 room reno - minimalist/scandi style maybe.

Because we'll be first time homeowners, what are some other expenses/fees we have to factor into our budget? Should I be also putting aside another sum on top of this for furniture, appliances, home deco etc?

Can anyone share their experience with me for their home reno?

Scandinavian Living Room · More Info

Comments (3)

• embeddedinbetw
    7 years ago

Yes you do have to.

You have to put aside budgets for
    - Furniture (e.g sofas, chairs, tables etc.)
    - Appliances (stove, hood, hob, oven, refrigerator, fans, washing machine, dryer, TV)

- Air-conditioning (installation and the aircon itself)

- Soft furnishing (throw pillows, rugs, lamps)
    - Lighting
    - Fixtures (tiles, built-in cabinets, built-in wardrobes, false ceiling etc.)

- Painting
    - Interior design and construction fees (if you are hiring someone).

In my experience, the fixtures, appliances and furniture adds up to the bulk of the cost. I have a 5-room BTO too, without tiles, and it cost about 30,000++, but only because we did not do false ceilings, and lighting, and spent most of our money on the appliances. We also relied heavily on soft furnishings (rugs) and designerish furniture to liven up our space.

Christal Lee thanked embeddedinbetw
  • oscolaidhe
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Christal,

Here's a useful guide to estimate your reno budget:

link

My experience (of a total revamp of a 4rm resale unit) was done around $32k, $4k of which was spent on demolition work so a budget of $30k for your 5rm BTO is very doable, if you go easy on things like carpentry and fancy tiles.

If you're starting from scratch like we did, definitely budget for furniture, appliances, and home decor (very easy to get carried away here!) Here's what we spent on some main categories:

Kitchen appliances + entertainment unit: $8,000
    Aircon: $3,000
    Bathroom fixtures: $1,500
    Furniture (and everything else from clocks to forks): approx $10,000

In all, $25,000 (estimated total from items above and more) + $30,000 reno can set you up for a very cosy first home. Have fun!

Christal Lee thanked oscolaidhe
  • Christal Lee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks guys! I had a discussion with my hubby and we decided to up our budget :)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.