yusofshak

ID recommending vinyl flooring for BTO - Any bad experience?

Yusof
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello Houzz, I just recently got the keys to my new flat and also just got an ID to renovate the place. My ID is recommending vinyl flooring, saying that it lasts long and is really popular. Is that true? I don't know much about vinyl flooring and was initially thinking of marble flooring. Both my wife and I are quite swayed by the vinyl flooring idea, but is there any disadvantage to it? Does anyone have any bad experience with their vinyl flooring to share with us? Tks!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    ERStudio Pte Ltd
    6 years ago

There are many different brands and grades of vinyl flooring. Do look out for the thickness (typically 5mm and above) and more importantly, the wear layer.

• PRO
    SUGARBAKERS
    6 years ago

Hi Yusof, Congratulations on your new home. Vinyl flooring has been around for a long time and its quite a good low cost flooring material.

Marble on the other hand as you had wished for is not an easy flooring to maintain as it can stain easily and if not laid properly can also have water marks depending on the quality used.

Vinyl, because of its low cost can be changed to refresh and give a new look to your home after a few years.

Chiquit's article on 10 reasons to consider Vinyl flooring is great, read it.

All the best.

• Melanie Chan
    5 years ago

Some popular vinyl flooring ideas for your new house or renovation http://thefloorgallery.sg/trendy-vinyl-flooring-ideas/

• Roy Thatsme
    4 years ago

I've used Quikstep laminated flooring for more than 10 years and it still looks as good as the day it was laid but it's not "trendy" with designers at the moment. Does give a wonderful visual warmth to the home and great comfort underfoot. It is also easily replaced and re-laid if wanted. Tends to creak a bit when you walk on it. I've had high quality vinyl floors overseas and did not like it because it feels very hard and unforgiving underfoot. The comfort of walking across a sprung floor is lovely. You would have a hard floor with marble so maybe vinyl is OK for you though. Enjoy your new home!

• PRO
    Metallic Epoxy Singapore
    4 years ago

Hi Yusof, before making a decision on Vinyl, perhaps reading through some background information will help! Vinyl is one of the cheapest and easiest to replace, but is it worth that savings? Find out in our post https://www.metallicepoxy.sg/is-vinyl-the-right-material-for-your-home/ here!

• PRO
    couture Living Pte Ltd
    4 years ago

I would vote for marble flooring invest on a nice n good flooring n you will never regret it...... the classic look that last forever since Pisa was built.

• PRO
    AX Image Group
    4 years ago

It depends on the design theme of your house, as well as your allocated budget. Do note there are various grades of vinyl flooring, so you may want to do some comparisons. End of the day, choose whichever flooring you like!

• Oaks
    2 years ago

Look up Forbo Flooring. I think it comes out of Europe. Its a product with " green " credentials and whilst it is used extensively in hospitals and industrial centres it is extremely strong and hard wearing. I think with other good strong design elements in a room a vinyl floor can easily be pulled off as dynamic and urban. Used a lot in say Denmark and Sweden for example with product longevity in mind & positive if you are also environmentally conscious. I am currently looking at Forbo vinyl to be laid in our sunroom, utility room, pantry and entrance way as it is practical, easy to clean and with a great colour can provide a lot of impact. And whilst it can be hard to walk on & can be viewed sometimes as cold visually I think a rug/rugs can remedy this in the colder months. Vinyl & cork went out of fashion a couple of decades ago and they are now popular again for good reason. I hope this gives you confidence in your current ID :)

• Oaks
    2 years ago

Eating Area · More Info

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.