victoria_needs

Victorian House Side Return Extention

Victoria Needs
7 years ago
Hi all,
I'm going around and around in circles trying to figure this one out... See attached floor plan. Looking for a cost effective way to create a kitchen with living room space suitable for children but struggling with how best to do it.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated or examples of people who have done similar. The things I'm keen to achieve, get light into the back of the house via bi folds/crittal or similar, family space so all can be together and to keep costs as effective as possible. Drains currently in side return but could be boxed.
Thank you for your time.

Comments (16)

• ianthy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have just completed a similar side return on our period home. Looking at your plans you already have a good sized kitchen. If it were my home, I would close off the sitting room at the front and then give the 2nd part of the room to the new open plan space. Create a utility room and loo in this space - you already have the plumbing near. Then the remaining part of the dining room would become part of the new open plan space with side return. Likely you will need to move the drains - usually they are located in the side return area - this is not a big job for a competent builder. You will also need a roof light or maybe 2 to let in as much light as possible via the side return roof. We opted for 2 x 1m roof light because we also have a skylight looking into the kitchen.

Due to the layout of your house e.g. the 1st floor sits full length on the ground floor - you may need a supporting column at the end of your kitchen. We got round this with 3m bi-fold doors and then a 1.4m single pane of glass the other side of the column. Think about how you want to use the new space - we preferred to have the kitchen at the back of the room with the dining and sofa space next to the doors and looking over the garden. Also consider how you will heat the area - we installed water Underfloor Heating, it was costly but we will see a reduction in the cost of running the rest of the house, because in the winter we will spend most of the time in this area. I think it will be a great project but you are right to put in as much planning as possible before applying for planning permission etc., Once you kick off you don't want to keep changing your mind on the bigger items.

• Victoria Needs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'd love to see photos and/or drawings! Is that possible?
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago
    What sort of budget is available?
  • Victoria Needs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    a small one... trying to figure out what sort of numbers are viable. Is it possible to achieve something like this for around 25K or we looking at 75K?
  • PRO
    Kitchenpod - Temporary Kitchen Hire (Home use)
    7 years ago

It is possible to reconfigure your room to have a new kitchen and double doors onto the garden with circa £25k but a full side return extension + new kitchen is more £50k+. For inspiration type 'side return extension' into houzz and there will be loads of images to inspire. Your budget will be key to the extent that you can do. A side return extension will pay for itself in terms of value added to the house. Good luck Ed

• Victoria Needs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thank you
  • PRO
    Abdul
    7 years ago
    i can draw 3D if you need.
  • Victoria Needs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    you can draw a suggested new layout?
  • PRO
    Richard Ruddick Architecture
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The configuration of the rear of your house provides an
    opportunity to create a contemporary, open plan space. I would open up the side
    of the house where the hob is shown and infill the outdoor space with a glazed
    roof to create a large kitchen-dining area filled with light. A flat roof with skylights could be another option.

Budget permitting
    you could open up the wall where the French doors are shown, or just remove
    them and create a lounge/play space.

• Victoria Needs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What would you say the cost difference between the two options would be?
  • PRO
    Abdul
    7 years ago
    yes i can.
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago
    If you build a side extension you will likely spend £20,000 - £25000 on the building.
    You may find that to build all the way to the dining room window may not be economically possible as the underground drains may be in the way.
    New garden doors will likely cost £5000.
    A new flooring for the room will likely be £1500.
    A new kitchen will likely be £25,000 plus.
  • Helen C
    7 years ago
    We have previously done an extension to a Victorian house with the same original layout albeit didn't have the corridor extending down the side of the stairs. You can view the plans and the house here
    https://www.propertypal.com/57-south-parade-ravenhill-road-belfast/366410. In order to get light at the back of the house the architect created a 'box' in the middle of the house.
  • Helen C
    7 years ago
    Just to add the total build cost was about £40k (not including flooring and kitchen) but that included renovating some of the rooms on the upper floors and also the whole of the ground floor was renovated including the front room. Also the work was carried out a few years ago and is in Belfast so probably cheaper than England.
  • Victoria Needs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That is super helpful thanks
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.