angrysg

Why Destroy Ellison Building?

angry singaporean
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone, understand that many architects use this website. Hope to hear some valuable opinions.

Recently the government announced they intend to demolish the 1924 Ellison Building, DESPITE it being gazetted as a conserved structure by URA.

Straits Times: North- South Corridor tunnel works to affect Ellison Building

Singapore Heritage Society's Statement on Ellison Building

This is not the first time this has happened. As a person born and raised in Katong, I saw it happen to the Butterfly House designed by architect Regent John Alfred Bidwell on Amber Road. It was a conserved structure, and the authorities allowed it to be demolished, only to be turned into a monstrosity.

"Conservation in Singapore can be a bit of a joke" - blog

URA even tried to justify it by saying "oh well, better than nothing: The Fragile Balance: Conservation or Commerce?

I would love to hear some opinions from SG and international architects!

Comments (8)

• Olivia Chng
    7 years ago

Not an architect, but wanted to say... this building houses one of the best, old-school nasi lemak places, Nasi Lemak Kukus, I've eaten at. So from a purely selfish, food-loving perspective, I'm worried about where local favourites like Kukus will go if Ellison Building is going to be partially demolished.

Also, although, it doesn't look like much now, look at how Capitol Singapore's adaptive reuse turned out: an icon that can be appreciated by everyone.

angry singaporean thanked Olivia Chng
  • angry singaporean
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Sugarbakers, thank you for your insights. I have lost hope with URA. And I don't believe in simply keeping the facade!

• Rachel Lim
    7 years ago

This would be great shame.

• joanne_fe
    7 years ago

This building if I am not wrong, is part of the Jewish quarter in old Singapore. Along with other buildings like Elias building. I'm not sure if the younger generation knows about this. Tearing down this building is such a shame, and doesn't acknowledge different ethnic groups that made up early Singapore.

• PRO
    Eliot Koey
    7 years ago

Agreed with Rachel and joanne_fe!
    Here's some additional commentary:

"There are 2 broad but pressing points in both the SHS and ICOMOS responses to the proposed demolition and reconstruction of Ellison Building which are very clear:

1. The lack of a public process of consultation and the opaque nature of the decision taken in announcing the proposed demolition / reconstruction of a building earmarked for conservation is unacceptable, to say the least; and
    2. The proposed “solution” to demolish and reconstruct is entirely unacceptable in line with internationally recognised and accepted standards or guidelines, except in extreme cases of calamity (natural or otherwise)."

https://heritagechacha.wordpress.com/2016/09/04/__trashed/

• Rachel Lim
    7 years ago

Love your comments, SUGARBAKERS

• PRO
    SUGARBAKERS
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Looks like our voices were heard somehow and part of the building's facade will be saved.

angry singaporean Rachel Lim

"How do we move forward if we dont know where we came from ?"

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.