smallspoon

Ideas on updating/replacing the veneer trim under kitchen cabinets

smallspoon
11 years ago
I am doing a minimal update of my 1980s white kitchen with new black countertops, brushed chrome cabinet handles, and white/blue glass or carrera marble backsplash.

I've already replaced the wooden door handles with the brushed chrome ones, but I still have the wood veneer/laminate trim under the wall cabinets to replace and am looking for solutions.

I doubt I would ever be able to match the white of the cabinets if I replaced the trim with new white laminate trims, and like the look of a metal trim to match the handles. What are my options? Are there metallic paints that would adhere to the laminate trim, or could I get a metal trim from somewhere - problem is I don't have a metal saw to cut the corners.

Any thoughts on an easy and cost effective solution appreciated!

Comments (12)

• winterriver
    11 years ago
    Is the wood veneer trim part of the cabinet, or was it added to hide undercabinet lighting? Simply removing it, if it's possible, would be the best solution.

Assuming that's not an option, take a door to a good paint store to get it color-matched. The match needs to be close, but because the trim is set back a bit from the cabinet frame the shadow line will mask a slight difference. I think making the trim anything other than white would highlight the age of the cabinets.
  • nancy lindsay
    11 years ago
    I had the same cabinets for 10 years and was constantly looking for a solution-I am sad to say-there is none. I did new quartz counter tops and travertine backsplash and it only made the cabinets look even older-so American Wood Reface to the rescue! I am now thrilled with my new kitchen.
  • PRO
    Landis Interiors & Cabinetry
    11 years ago
    I agree with black. Remove the old trim and get new that you can paint black.
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    11 years ago
    New trim is my suggestion as well. Then you can paint it any color you want. Black would look really good against the white cabs with the dark granite and cararra backsplash (which is a killer combination by the way, nice choice). I think painting the wood metallic might look cheap or cheesy, but if you could get an actual stainless or copper trim that could be a unique look.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would seriously consider replacing the cabinets before putting a new granite countertop on them. The problem is that no one will remove the countertop at a later date if you want to change the cabinets, due to the possibility of breakage. The only choice you will have then is a reface. Adding new doors, drawer fronts, and veneered sides is just a facelift. You could also add new hardwood drawers with undermount cushion close slides, but by the time you do this if will be the same cost as new cabinets now. The cabinets you have now, frameless, particle board sides are notorious for having the hinge screws strip out the particle board they are attached to. Since you can't put a longer screw in them, because the material is only 3/4" of an inch thick you have a problem. You also can't put a wider screw in them because it won't fit through the pre-drilled holes in the hinges.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    smallspoon, just re-read your post, if you are installing laminate countertops, my post is irrelevent.
  • Amy Stanley
    11 years ago
    I think with a good primer underneath you could color match the paint from the cabinet doors and paint them so once painted the trim would disappear entirely.
  • pattihp
    11 years ago
    Just paint them out to match the colour of your cabinet doors. They'll disappear.
  • smallspoon
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the ideas! I went to a local paint shop today and I can get a pretty close match on white, and with a primer called Stix I can apparently paint over the veneer without having to replace it. The trim is slightly shaded by the cabinets so I should be able to get away with a minor difference in the white. I like the idea of a metallic or black trim, but am afraid it might be too a distraction from the backsplash and countertops.
  • PRO
    moros interiors
    11 years ago
    Might look good by putting inox sheets on it.
  • PRO
    Traka Pte Ltd
    6 years ago

Silver metallic laminate

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.