emily_airey

What to do with our chimney breast?

Emily Airey
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We've almost finished decorating our dining room. The walls are Stone Blue and the ceiling Dimpse - both Farrow & Ball. We're leaving the coving white as a contrast between the two.
But we've so far left the chinmey breast as we're not sure what to do with it. We can't decide whether to paint it all blue, all grey, or blue on the main but with grey inside the fireplace. We're anti the all-blue idea as we think the fire will be lost against a blue background.
Any opinions?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Wallsauce
    7 years ago

...we agree, all blue could be too much. If you go for painting the whole breast, say a light grey, what could look really edgy is a small, log mural behind the fire.

You can find the log mural here

Do let us know if we can help anyway :)

Nicole @ Wallsauce.com

Emily Airey thanked Wallsauce
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Beautiful colour!
    I'd paint the fireplace Stone Blue too, but the inside Dimpse.
    Emily Airey thanked Carolina
  • Carole Wood
    7 years ago

or maybe the reverse - Dimpse with blue inside. Maybe a clever person could mock up both versions for you to decide.

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    I'd leave it in the colour you currently have to make it stand out and offer a lighter shade within the room so the blue doesn't close in on you and become too overpowering.
  • PRO
    Cotterell & Co
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello

You room looks great, you can add some candles to the side of the wood burner, lots of different sizes. Add an unusual focal point with pictures or a large mirror. At the side of the fire place use some small tables with a lamp or floor lights at add light back to the dark corner. I think the colour of the fire place is lovely and really sets it apart.

https://www.cotterellandco.com/homewares/mirrors

If you have any questions about the products please contact us

Kirsty

Cotterell & Co

• k11agl
    7 years ago
    I would paint the outside worsted or down pipe depending on how grey you want it, then see what you feel the side colour would be. Blue and grey do work very well together and they balance the temperature and ambience of the room. Lovely room there! :)
  • Carolina
    7 years ago

Hi,

I painted the fireplace grey and the same colour as your walls, to show you...

My reasoning for painting it the same as your walls is that you will probably have the door in white or possibly another colour, which makes it quite a stand out feature. That's one. And then you will add furniture to the room too, maybe a rug, curtains... so you'll be adding a lot of different colours anyway. So I'd keep the rest fairly calm. And I really don't think that the blue fireplace makes it less of a feature. But there we are. It's up to you :-)

• PRO
    David Aldrich Designs Ltd
    7 years ago
    Have you considered doing the chimney breast in white to match the coving and skirting? It could be quite unifying, and leaves it open to link in to all the different items you will be bringing into the space once the decorating has been finished.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.