razis_wwf13

Should we break our corridor wall or extend our kitchen?

razis_wwf13
3 years ago

Hi, my partner and I are at an impasse regarding the design of our new house. We would really appreciate any kind advice here from the houzz community.

Her Idea: Break a portion of the corridor wall to create an entrance to our living area at the expense of our kitchen.

My idea: To extend the corridor and align it to our living area space, so that we have a bigger kitchen.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    KIM CHENG design and associates
    3 years ago

I think that keeping the balcony and extending the kitchen area is also an excellent idea. Keep the kitchen area open in terms of material used. Opeaning the kitchen area is a good idea so there will be a nice flow in terms of sight.

Anne Koh-Interior Architect (USA)

razis_wwf13 thanked KIM CHENG design and associates
    Top Answer
  • Antz Huang
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Extend that wall for a larger kitchen, it'll be so worth it...! Create a welcoming foyer/ corridor for the awesome impact for your living and dining interior.

razis_wwf13 thanked Antz Huang
  • PRO
    Design Source Interiors Pte Ltd
    3 years ago

Extending the kitchen will be wonderful and adding windows in between the top and wall hung unit to create a see through effect to the access balcony. Howeve, I would suggest to eliminate the balcony, level the floor and centralise the dining area. (Unless of course the balcony is used to dry the clothes as per the usual practise in singapore due to size constraint.)

razis_wwf13 thanked Design Source Interiors Pte Ltd
  • razis_wwf13
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Antz Huang and Maya, thanks for the suggestions. @Maya Osman, we intend to keep the balcony as part of living room. The reason why we did not centralise the dining is because of the structural wall that's sticking out between our proposed dining area and balcony. Such an eyesore!

• razis_wwf13
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@KIM CHENG do you mean making an open concept kitchen?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Yes, it would make a whole of difference.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Depends on how well this plan is executed, storage will follow.

• PRO
    Atelier R Pte Ltd
    3 years ago

Hi Mr Razis, your partner's layout of sofa seems more reasonable, afterall you want to face the TV when watching it :) I also like the idea of removing the balcony as it somehow gain more living space, and regularise the Living Room without a cut-off corner. This corner could be converted for mini hobby area with 2 small simple polypropylene chairs & a coffee table. Do not be put off by the column, I think it outweighs it's benefits.
    On your extended Kitchen, you could add in a L-shape custom-made bench seating as a breakfast or simple dining area. With chandelier/pendant as the final touch, I am sure this would become the 'heartland' during family gathering.
    Enjoy your renovation. Looking forward to have an update of the progress. :)

• PRO
    SUGARBAKERS
    3 years ago

Hi Razis, congratulations on your new home purchase. I am sure u are overwhelmed by the options to personalise the space to your requirements, wants and needs.

I do like the top option where your sofa faces the tv. It creates for an open space in between and the kitchen and the lounge.

You could create a dry kitchen/coffee station/bar in this area?

Speak to a reliable designer and contractor who would be able to see the space physically and personalise the home of your dreams for you.

http://www.sugarbakers.asia 

• PRO
    last year

Hi ,How are you doing? Did all the suggestions on design work for you?

Singapore
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.