jacalyn_strom

Dark wood window trim and blinds?

j s
6 years ago
We have an old house with dark wood trim in all windows. We currently have these rather (to me) ugly shades in the living room and kitchen that I'd like to replace. We've used lighter wood blinds in the bedrooms upstairs that I think look okay but is it all too much wood? I think white would be too stark but not sure what to do. I'd like an option that allows light to get in without having wide open windows all the time - our house is super dark. Photos of living room, kitchen and and upstairs bedroom window. Help!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Creative Blinds
    6 years ago

I would recommend Hunter Douglas Alustra® Woven Textures® Roman Shades (top 2 pictures). You can find these at any Hunter Douglas gallery near you. Another option would be roller shades (bottom 2 pictures) but I would recommend ordering it with a reverse roll instead of a top treatment. This way it will be a simple look and won't take away from your windows or make them look too busy. Both of these window treatments come in a variety of colors, textures, and opacities. I hope this helps!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

First off I want to ask if this is a home you own and will be there for some time? If so, would you consider painting the frames of the windows and the baseboards in a shade of white? I understand it seems almost criminal to paint beautiful wood. Yet, nothing brightens a space more...just a suggestion and then you could do roman shades if you can sew and line them it's very easy whether relaxed or traditional roman shades in some rooms would be very nice. I grew up in Southern CA and everything was white trim and baseboards. I moved mid west when I married and all the wood was oak or some other wood framing the windows and on the baseboard, GASP. I painted it all and actually replaced the baseboards yet another story :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

light filtering sheer shades are an option. Hunter douglas 'Silhouette'

many places have them. blinds.com, HD, JCPenney, SelectBlinds, etc,,

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

JS, see if he will let you paint one of the windows in a bedroom or something. it really does make huge difference.

• kat103071
    2 years ago

Follow findingsilverpennies on Instagram all wood trim beautifully done rooms

• kat103071
    2 years ago

I’m in the same situation with the husband 😞

• Liki Hello
    last year

I have the same situation in every sense. My house floor, and doors, windows all are wood color Even the doors are in this color. If I do make convince my husband to paint white, doors need to paint it too?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.