eliotkoey

Is a full 3D-mockup absolutely essential?

Eliot Koey
6 years ago

Rainforest Executive Condo · More Info

Yes, absolutely helpful to visualise!
No, just a 2D mood board will do

Comments (8)

• Courtney Allan
    6 years ago

I think a 3D mockup is great for like people with empty houses and wanting to see where the furniture will go etc, as it does help me to visualise where the furniture will go instead of ordering it all and hoping it'll fit!

Eliot Koey thanked Courtney Allan
  • PRO
    SUGARBAKERS
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We started with hand sketches and mood boards.

Then we progressed on to cad drawings, and 3D animations. 3D animation walk through was not enough.

Now we have to produce 3D mock up renders on top of the animations.

Most people out there are still not able to visualise.

The new trend now is Virtual reality.

My question is ...... ARE WE NOT SPOILING OUR CLIENTS TOO MUCH?

Homeowners ought to trust the decisions of designers after they decided to go with a designer and have seen their portfolio. If not why are you working with such a designer?

Designers are not going to design and order furniture thats not going to fit in the space. Designers are there to help you personalise your space according to your brief and ideas.

• PRO
    Eliot Koey
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Sugarbakers, you bring up some relevant points. And I've seen some of the amazing 3D visualisations of projects in videos you've posted a while back around here! But I'm also wonderinf if this an issue of trust, or a client's ability to visualise her intended end result? Also, as a designer, are 3D mockups part of your work process, or simply another deliverable to the client? I have heard some designers say that very often, 3D helps win clients over to a designer's idea. Is that true?

• Courtney Allan
    6 years ago

Hi Sugarbakers,

I can definitely visualise the space you designed with that video. That's amazing!

• PRO
    Eliot Koey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree with Courtney, your video definitely helps me understand how the different spaces of the home relate to each other. Also, I get an impression of how colours and decor pieces work together too. But I can imagine that it's a labour of love to create this 3D animation. This would be significant value for your clients.

• PRO
    Fyner Interior
    3 years ago

It's an appreciated process - allowing you a glimpse into how the final outcome will be.

This allows you to make changes as necessary.

• Hui Ng
    2 years ago

Courtney, many homeowners like you use a 3D model to do initial furniture/renovation planning. I started this website that generates 3D models automatically from floor plans, to help homeowners visualize homes. If interested, feel free to submit a floor plan and we will email you a 3D model! We are collecting as many submissions as possible

https://www.plot-z.co/apto

https://www.plot-z.co/library

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.