thrishna_muthu

New black tiles with stain / Grout haze

thrishna Muthu
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, My tiler installed black tiiles along with black grout sometime s in late Mar / early Apr. Due to all the delays in my renovation, I finally had a handover done. I was scrubbing my floor tiles and noticed that it's very dark. I don't know if that's grout haze or grout stain on the black ceramic tiles. I've scrubbed the tiles 2-3x now and I still can't seem to get rid of the black patches around the tiles. Can someone advise me? I'm hesitant to acid wash since all my bathroom accessories have been installed.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Eliot Koey
    6 years ago

Hi Thrishna, looks like you've put quite a lot of effort cleaning it already. Have you already tried the following:

Oxygenated bleach
    Warm water
    Coarse scrubbing brush (like an old toothbrush)
    Towel
    Lemon
    Grout sealer

groutclean.jpg · More Info

TIP: Cleaning coloured grout should be done with special care. Bleaching agents (like chlorine bleach) can discolour and harm the coloured grout. Fortunately, oxygenated bleach does not contain corrosive chemicals and is safe to use on all grout.

For those impossible-to-remove stains, you might want to consider:

• A commercial tile and grout cleaner

• A coarser brush (avoid using metal bristles, though, as they can erode the grout)

• Grout stain-proof

If after you’ve tried all three, the stain is still hanging strong, you may have to resort to removing the old grout and replacing it with new.

I got the above tips from our article "Household Headaches: How to Clean Tile Grout" here:

https://www.houzz.com.sg/magazine/household-headaches-how-to-clean-tile-grout-stsetivw-vs~33806355

It's quite an extensive guide, so you might want start out with the lightest options?

• thrishna Muthu
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Eliot,

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, the above seems to apply to cleaning grout. I think my issue is that the grout might have stained the tiles.

would the same approach work?

• PRO
    Eliot Koey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Thrishna, I see what you mean. Instead of lemon, perhaps try vinegar? Mix a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water, increase the concentration as you see fit. Start with just a corner of the stained tile to see if it works.

• Gena Sim
    6 years ago

Hi Thrishna, Yours looked like the tile I'm going to use for my bathroom. Is the size 30x60 cm, item no. RCR63(36) and from Malaysia? I found it at Hafary. Thanks.

• LZ T
    5 years ago
    Another alternative of Lemon and Vinegar, try baking soda or hydrogen peroxide solution.
  • PRO
    Metallic Epoxy Singapore
    4 years ago

Another alternative would be to get rid of those unsightly and bacteria prone grout lines once and for all! Metallic epoxy coatings are seamless and provides protection against stains and moisture damage! For more information, check out www.metallicepoxy.sg!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.