anna_thibodeaux

Does a kiva fireplace mean you must to decorate southwest ?

Anna Deaux
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I just downsized into a townhome that has a corner beehive fireplace. Much of my decor is already Southwest but I've been thinking about going more modern. Does the kiva fireplace dictate the southwest style of decor?

edited to add a pic. Please excuse the dog bed I just moved in and I'm still sorting out where to put things

Comments (9)

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I'm assuming your title was messed with by spellcheck? you might be able to edit it, if you do it quickly.

Anna Deaux thanked Olychick
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

If you can show us a pic of it, it will help greatly!

• MarleneM
    6 years ago

I don't think you have to follow southwest but you still need organic items in the decor. For a more modern look I suggest letting the FP stand by itself, it's art in itself and doesn't need decor. The horse is fantastic but I would incorporate it elsewhere in the room.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/camino-santander-santa-fe-residence-southwestern-living-room-albuquerque-phvw-vp~1386777

Anna Deaux thanked MarleneM
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    6 years ago

If you want to go modern, I would remove the tiles that are stuck on the face - they look like an afterthought anyway. A smoother finish might help also.

Anna Deaux thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • LynnNM
    6 years ago

I don't think you necessarily need to decorate Southwest with your kiva. I agree with Lars, to remove the tiles. I'd also paint it a bold color to accent the sculptural elements. I'd love to see what you end up doing, so please consider posting an "After" pic. BTW, your horse sculpture is wonderful!!!

*edited to add that we have 3 kiva fireplaces and one "regular" fireplace. Many have them around here and not all decorate Southwestern. Decorate to make yourself happy . . . and send me your horse sculpture (LOL)!

Anna Deaux thanked LynnNM
  • Anna Deaux
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree. I dislike those little tiles too. I will definitely post an after picture once I get it together.

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

Your horse is FABULOUS. Do the two have to be exclusive of one another? I once heard if you gather things you LOVE they will all manage to integrate themselves int a cohesive home. Forge ahead, I am betting it will all come together nicely.

• jakabedy
    6 years ago

Here's one from a listing down the street from me. Smooth plaster, all white, looks great with more modern furnishings.

(Don't ask me why they put that table there. There's no formal dining room, but there is an eat-in kitchen, so it seems silly to me).

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.