justin_gabbani

Railings - stairs and 2nd family area

Justin Gabbani
10 years ago
Hi

Am in the process of planning for the renovation of the house I just bought and have a new 3 month old baby.

I am not what to do about the railings on the stairs and 2nd family area

See attached photos.

Any ideas?

Regards

Justin

Comments (7)

• Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    Summer Home · More Info

Split Oaks Farm Stair · More Info

Here are a couple of ideas for you. I particularly like the white wood with stained railing. What do you want to accomplish? Safer? Change of style?
  • Justin Gabbani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Safety and giving it a zen look
  • lyhuston
    10 years ago
    You should replace them with vertical pickets or glass, and as soon as possible. What you have now is completely unsafe for children. If any opening is bigger than 4" it's dangerous when they're crawling. Their body can fit through, but not their head, they can hang themselves. Plus the horizontal rails are far too easy to climb once they're walking, nothing you add to what's there can fix that. Sorry to be graphic, but it's important.
  • colonialgp
    10 years ago
    Glass seems high maintenance but lyhuston is correct about that hanging thing. Here's a photo that's similar to your stairs but with railings spaced closer.
    LA Contemporary 8 · More Info

Also is there no hand rail going down the left side of the stairs in that first photo? Can't quite tell what's going on the first landing next to the pot, but it doesn't look safe.
  • lyhuston
    10 years ago
    The closer spacing is still climb-able, and wouldn't pass the building inspection, where I am anyway. If you use a good contractor and get a permit for the work you'll be sure it's up to the latest code, that's the safest thing to do.
  • PRO
    NK Woodworking
    10 years ago
    Lots of possibility's for safe and ascetically nice/zen vibe. I would go with all wood, something soft in feel - for when they come tumbling down : ) Get someone who cares about code, and looks at it like a minimum instead of something to get around. The stair organization I am part (Stairway Manufacturing Association) has a lot of good builders/members all over the country. And if your in the Pacific Northwest look us up.
  • PRO
    Flourish Design Elements
    10 years ago
    If you're looking for something unique, check out www.flourishde,com.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.