kat_t37

Hardwood or Laminte,

KAT T
6 years ago
I am removing the old carpet in my downstairs family room. what would be the best option for my money? Wood v. Engineered, Laminate?

Comments (10)

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Engineered is a great option for a glue down floor. Wonderful choices and less expensive and labor intensive than HW, less maintenance, better long term value than laminate.

• kathy_merritt1
    6 years ago

Can't be hardwood if family room is below grade. So go with engineered!

• PRO
    Aayers Flooring
    6 years ago

KAT T, go engineered!

• PRO
    The New and Reclaimed Flooring Company
    6 years ago

Hi Kat,

Do you have Under Floor Heating? Do you have high humidity levels? If that's the case, I would go for a Wooden Engineered Floor.

These boards have a solid surface with some engineered layers. We normally recommend 3mm to 6mm for the solid layer and we always suggest either American or European Engineered constructions.

Wood will always be more expensive than laminate. But that's because you're paying for a floor that will last your entire life.

Laminate flooring has a very short life when compared to a wooden floor. You can also re-sand the wood to change the color or the finishing. This is something that you can't do with a Laminate.

We wish you all the best with your project!

Sincerely,

Your RFC friends.

• KAT T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    No, I don't have either.
  • PRO
    My Beautiful Floor .com
    6 years ago

In that case, you can't beat the natural beauty of hardwood. No solid below grade though, only engineered. Plus, with some of the new engineered woods, the price difference between laminate (assuming pro installation) shouldn't be that great.

• Liz H
    6 years ago
    The big cost is in installation. Some years ago, I spent about $13,000 having 1000 square feet of new floors installed, and about $10,000 of that was for the labor. If I'd spent a dollar or two more per square foot on materials (and I wish I had), I would have spent a total of possibly $15,000, which isn't really so much more, in relative terms. I still hate myself for going cheap on that floor.

I live in another house now. The floors are mostly the original hardwood, but one bedroom is laminate. I'd always hated laminate, but really, it's super-easy to maintain. And besides, I only really care about the floor insofar as it serves as a frame for my beautiful rugs.
  • PRO
    My Beautiful Floor .com
    6 years ago

Kat and Liz -- one of the most common complaints from people who buy flooring is that they wish they had spent a little more for better quality. As you point out, the price difference is not that great.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I would do vinyl plank in a basement and add an area rug

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.