scooterpig

Living room design problem, also accoustics issue

scooterpig
6 years ago

Hi, hoping for some advice! My living room desperately needs updated. It is literally a big box with 19 ft high ceilings. It needs new paint, flooring, window coverings, mouldings etc etc. I like the fireplace but not the porcelain tile around it. I have no idea where to begin, other than considering lowering the fireplace, and adding a hearth. It opens onto a kitchen with a 9ft ceiling, and the hallway where the 18ft ceiling continues.

Our other problem is that we have recently adopted a dog - a Great Pyrenees. He’s quite small at about Golden Retriever height, but when he barks it reverberates around the living room making a tremendous racket, which stresses him and he barks more, etc. It’s making life really tough, and although we’re working on the barking, any ideas on deadening the noise in the room would be great. Do we have to replace the carpet with deeper carpet, or can hardwood (or something else) work with decent underlay and big rugs? Would stacked stone on the fireplace or a wall help, and would breaking up the ceiling with faux beams or something?

Thanks for any and all ideas!

(Photo of dog included for attention )

Comments (9)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.