carol_unsworth

Real wood v laminate worktop

Carol Unsworth
6 years ago
Currently looking at Howdens kitchen (Fairford) in Cashmere. I like the look of real wood oak block style worktops but don't like the idea of the maintenance involved. Any views on good quality laminate ? Will it spoil the look of the kitchen? Should I forget wood all together and go with quartz or a composite worktop ? All comments greatly appreciated as don't want to get this wrong.

Comments (4)

• User 1
    6 years ago
    Quartz or granite or composite...all the way!!
  • PRO
    Dale Loth Architects
    6 years ago

Avoid fake wood. Even if you're taken by the look initially, areas of heavy wear or scratches give the lie to the deception.

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    There will be a difference in price between Quartz and laminate worktops so I guess it's down to budget. What I would say is don't buy your worktops from Howdens. They are cheap and don't have a balancer fitted underneath them causing them to possibly warp in time.

Look at some of the better well known brands for laminate worktops such as Axiom, Prima, Egger (Bushboard and Formica products). If you look after them they'll look after you. They can last years.
  • peachypear
    6 years ago
    I had a new kitchen fitted last year from diy kitchens, who are marvellous .
    I know I’m not to be trusted with real wood, I spill everything! So for my breakfast bar I used (shock horror!) B&Q Arlington oak laminate breakfast bar. I even bought a real oak worktop to compare, and preferred the B&q one.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.