jane3570

mock Tudor frontage needs replacing,

Jckendall design
6 years ago

Wood part needs major work so do we loose timber and just render or clad instead?!.,,,, warm brick to ground floor, timber/render to top at present

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Dale Loth Architects
    6 years ago

A fair enough dilemma, but you need to post a photo or two, particularly showing the context, before anyone should give an opinion. If your house is, say, a semi in a range of similar houses with intact half-timbering, the advice could be very different from that for a detached house in a varied streetscape.

Jckendall design thanked Dale Loth Architects
  • PRO
    Jckendall design
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• PRO
    Jckendall design
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is the house.... and next door needs doing too. I was thinking along the lines of removing all timber and replacing with thermo rendering..... or perhaps grey cladding (vertical to give a more contemporary edge) .... windows are brown on left hand house though.., too many factors to consider visually and a complete unknown on which option would be most practical and cost effective ..... Any suggestions??

• PRO
    Dale Loth Architects
    6 years ago

Although I'm no fan of Stockbroker Tudor, I'd tend towards keeping the timber framing. The angled ground floor bays and the gable would challenge any attempt at modernisation. The windows are an important factor, and whatever the colour I'd advise strongly against uPVC frames which are clumsy and thick.

Jckendall design thanked Dale Loth Architects
  • Tracy Edwards
    4 years ago

Hi I am in similar position with detached house in own grounds but have awful terracotta roof and mock tudor is in a right state. Given it's now over a year since you posted, could I ask which option you took please? I was thinking along the same lines, replace rotting timber and paint pale grey and repaint the white render to refresh. Thanks

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.