carol_cameron18

No kerb appeal

Carol Cameron
6 years ago
I also have a bungalow with very little kerb appeal. Any suggestions to improve this would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Dale Loth Architects
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You would need planning permission to render part of your house assuming none of it is currently rendered and you're in England. I would replace the inappropriate mock-period front door, but consider your house in the context of adjacent ones before altering your windows.

The least expensive and most significant visual (and ecological) improvement would come from appropriate planting rather than just a few dotted dwarf conifers. Lush planting is so often the saviour of otherwise uninspiring suburban streets. It looks as if you already have two trellises for a start. Take care not to go overboard with plants that will soon grow far too big for the space.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

You don't have to clad or render, you could dye the brickwork, a lot cheaper! Also, instead of replacing windows and doors, you could have the UPVC colour bonded.

Replace the concrete path with a good quality stone or block paviour. Add in different height plants and good contrasts in colour. Pink, white and purple look great against grey.

Just a quick play with MS Paint,,,,,,,,,,,,but you get the idea.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

How far you want to go with improving? Do you want to add some portico/porch in front of? Or just cosmetic work? Are you going to replace front door or windows?

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am not construction person, but may be something like this idea , more or less complicated. Some extended porch with glass?

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I think the world is your Oyster as with everything else...........Anything is possible ( planning department permitting )................However, let's start with Budget?

• PRO
    6 years ago

Some ideas

Brownlow Lane, Lancashire - Full House Refurbishment · More Info

• A B
    6 years ago

The things that I don't like are the UPVC windows and doors and the landscaping. I know this is an American example, but I think it demonstrates you can just add a small amount of render/cladding/a porch around the front door area and it would really break it up. A modern front door would help massively. Ged rid of the wall and tarmac path, and add some plants with year round interest. I'd be tempted to go for block paving!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.