john_walsh67

Red Cedar cladding - Vertical or Horizontal???

John Walsh
5 years ago

Hi

We're using Red Cedar cladding on the wall to the right hand side of the front door and all along the underside of the overhang but I can't decide whether to have it Vertical or Horizontal.

Any thoughts which would look best?

Thanks

John

Horizontal
Vertical

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Lomuarredi Ltd
    5 years ago

To me the vertical one is more elegant!

John Walsh thanked Lomuarredi Ltd
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Vertical, it contrasts with the direction of the stones.

John Walsh thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Reynolds Architecture
    5 years ago

Vertical. Trees don't grow horizontally.

John Walsh thanked Reynolds Architecture
  • E D
    5 years ago

For some reason I feel horizontal looks best, marginally.

• E D
    5 years ago

No, trees usually don't grow horizontally, but does that imply we can't have wooden flooring?

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Horizontal. No doubt!

John Walsh thanked Carolina
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    I think horizontal looks best because then the slats follow the same orientation up and under the ceiling. Thats what I “see” when I looked at pics, and I think it’s funny the votes are at neck and neck (12v11), clearly there is two ways of doing it equally acceptable so up to you.
    John Walsh thanked Emily
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

I think I may have to start an action to round up voters for the horizontal version ;-)

John Walsh thanked Carolina
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Very marginal for me. I think I'd go with vertical as I find the horizontal boards under the overhang a bit busy, it also goes with the doors and windows but contrasts with the stone. I do however like the horizontal lines next to the door as the door doesn't stand out quite so much to me with the vertical planks :)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.