kathleen_fisher62

My Kitchen Renovation

Kathleen Fisher
5 years ago

I started with a design dilemma, and got some good advice from some very kind people on Houzz. The transformation took more time to figure out then it did to complete the construction.

My advice to anyone wanting a new space is to do your research, without rushing into decisions, which can be difficult when working with some, because of the 'sale deadline'! Guess what? There will always be another sale!

In fact, by taking my time I ended up being able to keep all of the organization options I wanted and ended up with such a great sale that I was able to upgrade to custom solid wood cabinets and drawers for the same price as my original stock cabinets with MDF panels.

By customizing the sizes of cabinets, I was able to create more space to open up the small kitchen for a spacious feel. My contractor helped me achieve the built in pantry wall which puts all of my spices, canned goods, etc., right in front of me to see exactly what I have or need to replenish.

But, my favorite part of this kitchen is what the contractor did with my narrow and deep closet. It was widened and turned into a dry bar with microwave and roll out storage. Having a place for my coffee maker and microwave was key, so I could keep the new expanse of counter space visible!

Removing the 'bump up' wall of my original counter offered a more open concept feel, which was a great improvement.

Some before and after photos can be found on the design dilemma thread:

https://www.houzz.com.sg/discussions/small-entry-to-kitchen-fridge-or-something-different-dsvw-vd~5210318

Thanks to all for the Houzz advice and happy renovations!

Comment

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.