webuser_77919

Taj Mahal Quartzite or Calacutta Gray Quartz?

J Pass
5 years ago
Help me decide. I love them both for different reasons. Love the quiet and clean look the Calacutta Gray would give but also love the luxurious look of the Taj Mahal. What would you choose and why?
Taj Mahal
Calacutta Gray

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    5 years ago

Agree with the above comment.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

The quartzite is gorgeous and appears to be a better match for the cabinet color (though it's hard to know anything for sure on a computer monitor.) Natural stone is usually my preference anyway ;-)

• PRO
    Nicole Forina Home
    5 years ago

Calcutta is classic, but everyone is doing it. The Taj Mahal doesn't stray too out of the ordinary and it has a lot of movement. I LOVE it!

• jjdooley13
    5 years ago

Whoops, just accidentally voted for Calcutta when I was trying to look more closely at the image. I like the Taj Mahal, but what is the other tile in the picture?

• Chisos
    5 years ago

jjdoolye13, I did the same thing. Trying to look at the pic and it voted calcutta. Unable to change vote

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

The calcutta is pretty but reminds me of varicose veins... I think the Taj Mahal is the way to go.

• MountainView
    5 years ago

my laptop is having problems voting, but I also vote for the Taj Mahal. That is a gorgeous combination with your cabinet and so luxurious looking!

• leelee
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is a no brainer. Taj for sure. Richer, warmer.

• J Pass
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You guys are all so amazing! We are going with the Taj! Yay.

To answer jjdooley, that’s a small piece of my floor, the actual flooring is longer planks but I wanted to see the colors together.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Uh Oh. This is not be the best choice for flooring with the Taj. The lines are too similar. Is it possible to go with hardwood floors?

This floor cheapens the look for the Taj Mahal quartzite. Sorry.

• jjdooley13
    5 years ago

I agree with leelee on the floor tile. Lines too much the same but different, if that makes sense. Hardwood would be better, if possible.

• J Pass
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    No can’t change the floor just yet :-( right now we are only changing out the granite but Maybe down the road we will replace with hard wood.
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Oh dear I wrote all this before reading your post JPass.

Okay so floors stay... scroll down to the last photo.. Light floors could work.

----------

Oh dear... I am in the same camp that the floor might fight to be the star in your space. And trust me you want the Taj to be the star of the show. Do you have to go with that floor? If you do than I say look for another countertop. Don't give up, you can find a floor that will work with the Taj...

Here are some ideas.

dark wood floors

Clean Kitchen · More Info

med wood floors

Bellaire Transitional · More Info

light tile floor below but not with a wood like stripe, more of a travertine

Gray Cabinets Brighten This Small Light & White Transitional Family Kitchen · More Info

WWWWWWHHHHOOOOAAAA, hold my horses. I think maybe I am wrong about the wood look tile floor... Maybe it could work. I need to think hard about this. Below is not Taj it is White Pearl Quartzite but with light floors. The light floors and the light counters do work wonderfully together. My fear is the the pattern on the fake wood tiles would fight with the rich creamy pattern of the Taj. But long plank light wood floors (prefer real) could work.

Thoughts anyone?

Maybe the dark island helps ground this too.

After looking at this photo below I do think the light floors and light counters could work but I am still not 100% sold on the tile floors your are thinking about... need to think about this.

Camelot Reserve · More Info

• J Pass
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks boxerpal for the feedback...we may end up
    Changing out the existing floor at some point for wood, we just can’t right now because it’s an open floor plan into the dining room, which already has wood so I don’t want to add wood until I’m ready to sand and stain the rest of the house and I just can’t do it yet. The reason we are replacing the counters is because we had a really porous light granite which looks like crap after only 5 years. I need something that can stand up to lots of use and lots of cooking!
  • J Pass
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And also the fabricator we are working with already has several slabs of Taj in stock.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

So those are your present floors and they're staying?

• jjdooley13
    5 years ago
    Hmm, if floors won’t be changing, I don’t think Taj works. I too wonder what others think after seeing your tile.
  • J Pass
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    For now, yes.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Actually, neither counter works with the floors. Quartz is too cold makes the floors look more beige. Keep looking for a more solid counter.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.