aclb1

chandelier selection-Porter Edun

AC LB
5 years ago
I finally narrowed my choices down to two chandeliers, the Hadley and Fremont 5 candle pendant, until the Carmen (Darlana look alike) became available! Now I’m back to 3 choices. I personally like the white candles of the Hadley chandelier. I also think the quality is most likely better since it’s from a reputable store and has 7- 5 star reviews. I love the look of the other two pendants, but out of 800-1600 5 star reviews there were a handful that said you get what you pay for and some parts were bent. My husband hates the look of a chain and likes the look of a bar more, but he is leavingthe final decision to me. I have made so many bad design/decor choices in the past that I’m constantly second guessing myself. I am calling on porter’s advice because I love her style and she has helped me make changes in my dining room:). Of course I value the opinion of all my fellow houzzers. The first pic is the Carmen 6 light pendant. The second is the Fremont 5 light pendant, and the last is the Hadley chandelier. Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

How do you plan to reconcile the location for the chandelier and the placement of your table?

The white candle sleeves IMO are not the right accent for your room. It takes away from the design of the chandelier

Here is the outlines of two of your fixtures. I like the Fremont light chandelier because it has rods instead of chains for hanging the fixture. IMO it's a better appearance..

FREEMONT

CARMEN

• AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much Beverly! To be honest, I've been leaning more towards the freemont in the past week. I like that the dimensions are smaller than the carmen. I'm afraid the carmen will be too large for my space. The freemont is 40" wide and the carmen is 49". I also know that my husband likes the look of a bar vs chain look.

The reason we're going w/ a linear lantern chandelier is to correct the off center problem we have now. The chandelier was perfectly centered before we added a leaf to our table. My husband doesn't want to redrywall the ceiling, so we figured a linear would correct the problem and cover the hole on the ceiling. So our new chandelier will be centered.

• Jeanne Seefus
    5 years ago

I like the Fremont. Has a nice shape and will look lovely

• AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Jeanne! I appreciate your feedback. I just hope the quality is decent. It is from wayfair...several other vendors also sell it.

• PRO
    Razzetti Italy
    5 years ago

Hi AC LB, what you think about ceramic white chandelier, with a contemporary classic style, very ligthfull, clear and bright. Here I post some photos of it, it can be good also put 2 small chandelier above the table.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion Razzetti Italy! I think the chandeliers you recommended are gorgeous, unfortunately, my husband doesn't like anything too ornate or glamorous:(.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I agree w/Beverly on this one. as for the off-center, the linear will accentuate that fact. Plus, the canopy is what you notice that will be off-center.

It's really not a big deal to move it over (unless you encounter a joist. but even that can be rectified by using a shallow plate) and patch up the other hole. I'm sure he doesn't want to do it, who would?! But, if you're going through the hassle of decorating and spending money on a nice light, why not have it hang properly?

Do the tops of your choices look like this? You may be able to fudge and move it over, but have the other hole covered by this plate. At the very least his patch job wouldn't have to have to be 'perfect' if the plate would cover up most of it.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Beth! Yes, we’re planning to center the fixture over the table. I know it will no longer be centered with the room... I’m okay with that. All three light fixtures have a long approx 8-10” wide(I can’t remember exact dimensions) ceiling plate. My husband is handy so he can patch things up, but he didn’t want to take on the job of major repairs. We also don’t like our current chandelier. That was one of my many hasty decisions gone wrong:(. I think that’s why I’m having a hard time just purchasing one!! I’ve been analyzing this decision for weeks!! Which chandelier do you think would look best?
  • AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you so much for responding !!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think I like the first one too. I like the softer gray tone and the curved body. The last one is too boxy and the white candles seem 'in your face'. If you had an all white kitchen and light/bright dining area, i think it would work better w/that look.

The Fremont would also work.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My dining room is open to my kitchen. I also like the shape of the Freemont light.
  • AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We have painted the columns white to match our mounding. This is an old pic.
  • AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So just to be clear, you like the Carmen chandelier?
  • AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Whoops, I just went back up and reread my original post. The first pic is the freemont. That has help solidify my decision! Thank you. I’ll keep you posted!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Not sure you or your husband grasp the problem here. The table looks terrible because it is not centered on the windows and electrical box. This means the leaf must come out and perhaps the sideboard needs to find a new home.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beverly thank you for pointing this out to me! I guess I figured recentering a fixture over the table would be a quick fix. I didn’t consider how strange it would look off center with the room. I’ll mention it to my husband.
  • imhofan
    5 years ago

What is the view of dining room from entry? I'm wondering if your room and table orientation would be more natural with table positioned parallel to buffet? Your light fixture would remain centered w/windows and table would also be centered width wise w/windows and fixture.

Also, if selecting fixture w/rods, ensure you know the length options of the rods for proper placement over your table.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We ended up
    Purchasing the freemont chandelier and LOVE it! Thank you for your guidance:). My husband is going to move the junction box and mount it soon. I’ll post pictures. Thank you again for your help!
  • Kitch4me
    5 years ago

Looks very nice!

• AC LB
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you:).
Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.