gabby247

Removing cornicing? Is it more agro than it's worth?

Gabby Wong
5 years ago

Hey,

Random (hopefully) quick question:

If I wanted cornicing removed, how simple is this normally? does it normally pull at the plaster and mean the wall needs completely redoing?

We're having an extension built later this year, and currently have very simple plain cornicing in all the rooms, and I'm not fussed on it so wouldn't particularly want it put in, but for continuity I think we'd need it removed from the areas that are going to be changed by the extension. Am now wondering if it's just simpler (and cheaper) to just get cornicing added where necessary in the new extension.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    TME Interiors
    5 years ago

hello. I think your idea of the latter is great. It would be more straightforward (and less costly) if you were to add some in for continuity. If it's ripped off the job can get quite messy

• Gabby Wong
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks!

I thought that may be the case! It’s a shame as I think removing it would make the ceiling look higher which would have been good!
  • jessa61
    5 years ago

The problem if you remove it, is you may uncover a messy join from the wall plaster to the ceiling. We originally told the plasterer we would be having cornicing and so it was plastered with this is mind so the ceiling to wall bit is really messy so if we changed our mind now to not have cornicing, we couldn't without replastering this section of the wall. Not saying this is the case in your house but thought it was worth making you aware :)

• Gabby Wong
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another great point I hadn’t considered Jessa!

I think given that they don’t offend me that much I will just continue them into the extension and on the new walls we’re adding!

Thanks!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.