jenny_phillips49

Ceiling extractor height dilemma

Jenny Phillips
4 years ago

We are installing a John Lewis ceiling extractor in our new kitchen. The installation instructions say that the hood should be installed 2000 to 2100mm from the floor for maximum extraction efficiency. If we mount it flush between the joists, (which is what we want to do, rather than boxing it), it will be 1500 mm from the hob and about 2400 mm from the floor. Is that a problem? We just want to understand whether installing it at 2400 mm rather than 2100 mm will still provide maximum extraction. Any ideas? Thanks Jenny

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-jlceilhd87-ceiling-cooker-hood-stainless-steel/p1849590?searchTerm=JLCEILHD87

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

I agree with OnePlan and I have installed a number of cooker hoods higher than the manufacturer's recommended heights, which are based upon peak performance, particularly above Islands or peninsulars.

Jenny Phillips thanked Brandler London
  • rinked
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hmm.. Most installation guides I know talk of distance above hob.. The downside to higher is grease cools down and tiny droplets (can) fall down again. Most ceiling extraction fans I know of speak of a maximum of 150cm from hob to hood (such as Siemens and Bosch).

Jenny Phillips thanked rinked
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

So that’s ok then Rinq - as 1500 above a hob, set at std uk height of 910, is 2410 and this scenario is setting the hood at 2400.

( just avoid having a cold surface that any vapour might wish to condense onto above 2000mm point to be sure !)

Jenny Phillips thanked OnePlan
  • rinked
    4 years ago

Depends on the strength of the fan, I guess. How many cubic meters can this one handle? And how many cubic meters is your kitchen (add living in open plan)?

Jenny Phillips thanked rinked
  • PRO
    Schmidt Kitchens Fulham
    4 years ago

I agree with rinq that the efficiency of the motor is essential. I came across just a few hood manufacturers who can afford to say their extractor will work with any distance from the hob and they are naturally the most expensive. I must mention Gutmann as one of them. And of course, what I've learnt the ceiling extractor doesn't have to absorb all the smell and vapor immediately but if you put it on before starting cooking and leave it on for example 30 min later, it will clean the air well enough.

Jenny Phillips thanked Schmidt Kitchens Fulham
  • Jenny Phillips
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments. That's very reassuring and just what we needed.

• HU-119695353
    last year

Hi Jenny - I am in the same position as you with regards to the installation of a ceiling hood. The height of my ceiling in new extension is coming in at 2.36m. Just wondering how you have got on with yours?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.