wisestars_apothecary

Need to make stairs in a difficult location

We are buying a house that needs a fair amount of renovation. In particular there is an unfinished upstairs room that is only accessible through a hole in the wall with a ladder. We would like to finish this as a bedroom and add stairs, but it seems like a really difficult task to figure out the best, most economical way to build the stairs and also figure out where can they be built. Help please!

Comments (4)

• Olina Joy
    2 years ago

Lovely house! It’s best to tuck the stairs at a corner of the room to maximise space. And u may want to consider having the space under the stairs double up as storage or wardrobe, a daybed area, study or even a toilet. The possibilities are endless. Check out Pinterest for lots more ideas. Happy renovation!

Wisestars Apothecary thanked Olina Joy
  • Olina Joy
    2 years ago

Do consider how u will get large furniture up into the room if u do not plan to enlarge the hole accessing the room.

Wisestars Apothecary thanked Olina Joy
  • Wisestars Apothecary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you good point about furniture-the main issue with enlarging the hole is whether it is possible to cut into the ceiling as not sure if it is main beams that could effect integrity of ceiling....how do I find that out? Architect/contractor?

• Olina Joy
    2 years ago

U will need to check with a civil engineer

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.