solvixen

Tiny kitchen in a studio apartment

solvixen
6 years ago
I'm moving into a new studio apartment soon. The unit comes partially furnished by the developer. But I find that the food preparation area is too small for any kind of cooking, and it's also lacking storage area.

I'm planning to add on a bar counter on the right to form an 'L' workspace, as well as some open shelves to the right of the mounted dish rack.

But the rounded edges of the cabinet where the dish rack is, makes it look like it should be the end of the top row of the cabinets. I'm now unsure about adding on the shelves. Or if the shelves need rounded edges as well, to conform to the design.

The other issue is under cabinet lighting. I would love to add under cabinet lights because it helps with food preparation and gives a nicer ambience than ceiling lights. But the only area where I could have the under cabinets lights is under the cabinet next to the fridge, and possibly under the proposed shelves at the far right. Will it look strange to just have lights in one area? Also, my carpenter suggested solar lights so I wouldn't have to drill holes in the cabinet to run the wiring. But my place is tiny and dark, not sure how much energy the solar light's going to be able to tap.

Would welcome any comment or suggestion. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    eagledzines / Linda Mayo
    6 years ago
    Since the cabinets have glass doors, you could put lighting inside the cabinets.

I wouldn't worry about round the shelves to match, but I would try to match the doors or they could possibly be stainless steel, depending on your taste.
  • dclostboy
    6 years ago
    I agree that stainless steel shelves would look good. Use to store your new colorful set of dishes :)

There are also battery powered puck lights that you might consider.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    6 years ago
    Boy, it sure looks like the refrigerator doors open on the wrong side--can you get the developer to swap it out or change the door swing?--must be a mistake. I would find that really annoying, especially in such a small workspace.

I really see a movable island parallel to the cabinets in this space with storage underneath and maybe a hanging pot rack with lights and maybe some shelving above, possibly with some stools for casual dining. Do you have room for something like that?

A freestanding stainless metal full- or counter-height shelf on casters adjacent to the sink could be really helpful. You could put some simple white dishpans or bins on it as a temporary holding place for dirty dishes while you are cooking, and use the rest for overflow for big pots or pantry items.

The L counter with the curved sink might be a little awkward, but sure beats not having some usable counter space. If that is all you are adding, then perhaps a cart with a shelf that flips up for extra prep or dining space would work for you.

I would pay the money to get decent lighting. I think I see a thin range hood over the cooktop. If this is European, there should be wiring and a plug for the range hood, so I wouldn't think it would be too expensive to run some wire for lights Doesn't the range hood already have lights. BTW?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    6 years ago
    It's not hard to change way door opens on refrig.
  • lj709
    6 years ago
    There are strips of LED lights that are like a piece of tape. You can put them under your cabinets, easy to wire or plug in. They are bright, and you can dim them. Because they are LED, they don't put off heat and in a small kitchen that is usually a good thing. They are not that expensive, they even sell them at IKEA.
  • solvixen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This photo was taken at the showroom before my apartment was ready, so the fridge doesn't belong to me. But thanks for the heads up, will be mindful of the side the door opens when I buy a fridge :)

There isn't much space between the existing cabinets and the wall facing them unfortunately so putting anything parallel is out of question. Even the additional bar counter that I want to add will have to be fairly narrow in width to leave some walking space.

I had actually been planning for matching white shelves, but stainless steel shelves sounds like a much nicer idea. I didn't think of that. My carpenter suggested shelves with a glass door to match the whole row on the top, but I wanted something a little open and airy to put cookbooks & decorative items on. My only reservation with the stainless steel shelves at the moment is lighting. Is it possible to drill a light underneath? I'm a little OCD, the thought of having the under cabinet light only on the left bothers me.

There is a cooker hood installed but I don't think it's ideal to leave the hood lighting on for ambience.
Singapore
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.