italiananna

How far back do you cut the hydrangeas each year?

italiananna
10 years ago
I understand it is best to prune them around March. And in the wintertime, it seems you are left with bare stalks. I would just be curious how this driveway & garden look in the wintertime. It's definitely gorgeous when everything is in bloom. Thanks.
North Arlington Residence · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Katia Goffin Gardens
    10 years ago
    The hydrangea stalks form a stark bouquet that are part of the beauty of winter.
  • meganpat
    10 years ago
    leave on the heads to protect the plant in winter
  • PRO
    Katia Goffin Gardens
    10 years ago
    Thank you Proven winners ... happy to have your input caring for hydrangeas. I still would not describe how hydrangeas look in winter as a 'downfall' - it is all in
    the beholder's point of view.
  • PRO
    Architectural Gardens, Inc
    10 years ago
    The dried flower heads look great in the winter, along with the dried pods of iris, dried grasses, etc. Google "plants with winter interest" and you'll see.
  • D D
    9 years ago

I'd like to see this driveway landscape in the winter when the hydrangeas are bare. Do you cut them back or leave the stems all winter? How about snow removal? We usually end up with 3-4 feet of snow along our driveway for 3 months.

• User
    9 years ago
    Hydrangeas bud on old wood. If you prune them back, you don't get flowers. You can selectively prune, but cutting the entire plant down will result in a couple of years with no blooms. If you don't like how it looks in winter, I'd look for a different shrub.
  • PRO
    Proven Winners
    9 years ago

These are Hydrangea arborescens, our native hydrangeas. They bloom on new wood, so can be pruned back in late winter or early spring. They won't be bothered by snow piles. The winter interest can be quite nice.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.