patsus

Need help on the furniture layout for open plan living room

patsus
19 November 2013
last modified: 30 August 2017

I'm moving into an apartment and need advice on how I should layout my furniture in the open plan living - kitchen-dining room. I have a round table with 6 chairs, lots of oriental/classic pieces of furniture, I got rid of my old sofa and want to buy one that fits this space. The room opens into a balcony where I plan to have a causal seating area. Floor plan and photos of attached, though the photos are not of my furniture. I thought an L-shaped sofa along the wall near the door with its back to the balcony doors, and the round table on the opposite side of the room. Any suggestions and ideas from Houzers on layout and paint colours welcome!

Comments (9)

• decoenthusiaste
    Don't see the balcony doors. Please comment and use the Attach Images button to add pix and show us all 4 walls.
  • patsus
    Thanks for your response! I was beginning to give up on hearing anything back! Meanwhile I have played safe and gone ahead and painted the walls white, and matched the door colour to the wall skirting/trim. My next query is about the lighting, it's bla at the moment wi 2 lights and 1 fan. I want to change this to 2 fans, one each for th e dining and living area, and need a statement light for the centre, any suggestions for what would look nice? . More pics of the now empty flat attached
  • patsus
    More pics of the lighting and the balcony in daylight. Need advice on what kind of statement light would look good - I will also have some table lamps in the room. And on the layout - a cream/ white sectional sofa opposite the front door, with it's back to the balcony is what I'm thinking, with the round mahogany 6 seater dining table on the opposite end. Looking forward to your comments
  • decoenthusiaste
    So, you're putting fans where the square lights are and a light where the fan is? I'm not quite catching the floor plan, but I'd want to be able to enjoy at least the greener part of the balcony view from the sofa and might want the dining table to be close to the kitchen bar. Is that feasible or agreeable to you?
    patsus thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    Hi. Great potential here.

I think a round table will be challenging here. If it is possible, I think the ideal situation would be to place a long, narrow, counterheight table along the wall farthest from the front door. (Where the plant is in the first photo). Anyway you would be willing to buy a new table?

This would reflect the more modern sensibilities of the space, as well as give you plenty of room for the living area.

Then, as you recommended, I would place a couch, floated, facing the window. Then 2 chairs in an L shape with couch. If a tv, it could go along the wall where the previous owners had the dining table.
    patsus thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • patsus
    Thanks for your comments, its great to discuss with houzers! You are so right @decoenthusiaste the view is beautiful and one reason why I chose the apartment. the room is longer than it is wide, and I wanted the kitchen/bar to be included in the seating so the attached pic is how I was planning to lay it out. @cdrdesign I can't/change the table, its a gorgeous mahogany piece I had custom made and one I see keeping for some years yet! I dont plan a TV in this room, will put it in another room. This room in for living and entertaining guests. Sorry I dont have layout software, so you will have to make do with my scribbles using powerpoint! Could really do with help on choosing the light fitting in place of the central fan- what would look nice here or should I wait till the furniture gets here to choose the light to match?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    I think that looks like a good setup. I would not buy a sectional, as it limits your seating arrangements. Guests, for the most part, do not like sectionals They would prefer their own seats.

If you want a fan over the dining and living area. I would not hang a statement light in the center. It is going to look odd. Instead, hang 3 matching fans. It will make the area more cohesive.
  • decoenthusiaste
    A sofa and two chairs will be more flexible for this floorplan and any future one. Take careful measurements to see how much room is left for the living area once you've placed the table and chairs. Remember to add 36-48" to the table top measurement. Allow 24" of that for chair scoot and sit space (and a rug underneath,) plus 12-24" for clearance to the wall and any furniture like a buffet, or your cabinets, on the wall. You might buy some graph paper to rough this out, as the living space will be a lot smaller once these allowances are accounted for on the plan.
  • TraKa Pte Ltd

The corner between TV wall and balcony sliding doors is appropriate for an L-sofa with longer side sofa along TV wall and the shorter side towards balcony. You can add 2 chairs opposite the long sofa side across a centre table. The round dining table can be towards the bedroom passage entry location and near kitchen counter corner. It can have a cabinet along the dining wall. The corner opposite to L-sofa can have two accent chairs and a table between them or a chaise lounge/recliner at that corner to enjoy being closer to the greens

Singapore
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.