1870r

Landscaping design with neighbor's garage

1870r
9 years ago
When we moved in last year this side of the yard was covered in scrub brush (mostly buckthorn). We cut it all out last fall, leaving a couple of honey suckles and one tree (some type of mulberry) that were discovered in the undergrowth.

This is the southwest side of the yard so it receives plenty of sun. Any ideas about what to do with this space?

Comments (10)

• 1870r
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the advice and the pictures. I forgot to mention that the opening near the top of the garage is where all of the water flows down from the roof. Any thoughts about what to put in that particular spot?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    Why not dig a hole about 3 feet deep and line with plastic with some holes punched in it and palnt some plants that love the wet like bog plants.
    1870r thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    Could you profit by collecting the water as a water butt. Or if not sambuca Nigra is a lovely plant that produces pretty pink flowers and black leaves. It doesn't complain about boggy soil
    1870r thanked ASVInteriors
  • Brown Dog
    9 years ago
    Wow. That wall is an eye sore. But it could also be a design opportunity! I would ask your neighbour if you can paint it out and paint it a really really dark taupe or charcoal or even black. Then use it as a backdrop for trellises with climbing, flowering plants. The dark background will make the greenery and flower colours pop. Lots of sun on that wall means you could plant climbing roses. If your neighbour won't let you attach the trellises directly to the wall then anchor them into the ground. Where the water empties from the roof and hits the ground, build a bed of gravel then river rock on top to disperse. Could make that area into a dry riverbed design. Good luck!
    1870r thanked Brown Dog
  • Lisadoll
    9 years ago
    Oh Gosh... I feel your pain! My neighbors garage is on my lot line, at the end of my pool. This year I'm going to hang some repurposed bifold louvered closet doors on either side of a repurposed mirror closet door. And I'm going to let some flowering vines trail over all of it. I'm also putting the other mirror door, tilted down at an angle, behind an adjacent fountain . My yard is kinda Mexican hacienda style. The pool and fountain are tiled in deep blue. I figure it's better to reflect the garden and pool than to stare at that darn wall. Plus it's a little unexpected!
    Maybe you could try something like this, too.
    I highly doubt whether your n
    1870r thanked Lisadoll
  • Lisadoll
    9 years ago
    Oopsie!
    I doubt your neighbor will give a hoot! Mine sure doesn't. And he even uses his garage as a second family room.
    Good opportunity to get creative and have some fun with it!
    Good Luck!
  • lrhicks
    9 years ago
    I agree with the others - ask your neighbor about painting the side of the garage that faces your yard. Depending on your style of decor, you can treat this as a part of your yard and change the appearance completely.
    Consider a low fence to separate your yard from the street/driveway, something similar to the red fence shown, to provide you a smaller "room" for entertaining.
    I live in an area where the side of the neighbors house defines the property line and have decorated the side of the neighbors house with various items to break up the expanse of wall (old window frames with the glass missing, sections of old iron fences, bird houses, etc); it really helps to cozy up the space.
    A trench filled with gravel and topped with larger rocks will help with the water issue and direct the water to other areas of the yard.
    A brick or paver patio would be lovely for establishing a conversation/grill area. The pictures submitted by PC have some great ideas.
    I can't recommend plants since I have not idea what part of the country you are located in
    1870r thanked lrhicks
  • 1870r
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of your comments and ideas. We live in the upper midwest so plants definitely need to be hardy. I will start by asking the neighbor about painting and then go from there. I love the ideas about trellises. How long would it take to get something established and covering?
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    Honeysuckle will cover quickly. Some call it invasive but I love the smell as it covers our old fence. Morning glories and moonflowers are quick to grow from seeds. You could grow them on a temporary trellis while getting a few evergreen shrubs started to create a hedge or just a few spots of year round color.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.