33 Posts
james_va started a discussion
Kew Gardens: Worth a visit? - Hello, everyone. I'll be in Ireland and then in London for a bit, and was wondering if Kew was worth a day in your view (my only sightseeing... Read More
    7 Comments
james_va started a discussion
best way to overwinter Live Oak in colder climate? - Hello Everyone, On my summer vacation I collected what I believe to be three yearling Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) seedlings from a lot cle... Read More
    34 Comments
james_va started a discussion
cause of balasm fir 'variegation'? - Hi, Folks. Any thoughts on the cause of this yellowing on approximately 30% of the needles on an Abies balsamea? The tree is potted. The sho... Read More
    4 Comments
james_va started a discussion
how to make old man's beard (usnea) grow? - Hi, Everyone, I have some Usnea lichen (I figured this was the closest forum) from up north (I'm in North America). It is currently bonded t... Read More
    8 Comments
james_va started a discussion
can't get black spruce cones to dispense seeds - Hi, All, I collected some cones on a recent trip, including Pinus resinosa, Pinus banksiana, Larix laricina, Picea rubens (or hybrid cross w... Read More
    3 Comments
james_va started a discussion
Conifers near Mont-Tremblant? (Quebec) - Folks, I'm headed up through Montreal to Mont-Tremblant to do a little skiing soon. I've been to Quebec a few times before, and have loved i... Read More
    4 Comments
james_va started a discussion
highest tree in the Rockies? - Thought this post was interesting. Sounds like A. lasiocarpa at 13,700 ft/4,175m? http://themountainworld.blogspot.com/2009/09/highest-tree-... Read More
    7 Comments
james_va started a discussion
seeds have sprouted -- now what? - Hi, All, I have some seeds from the following species: Picea mariana Larix sibirica Larix gmelinii (and possibly some P. glauca mixed in)... Read More
    6 Comments
james_va started a discussion
larches and extracellular freezing - Hi, Everyone. Can anyone tell me if this is to mean that just Larix kaempferi simply does deep supercooling on top of extracellular freezing... Read More
    3 Comments
james_va started a discussion
how to bake open Pinus contorta cones? - Hi, Folks -- I've got a bunch of Pinus contorta cones, and I'd like to try harvesting a little seed. Being a fire-loving lot, they don't see... Read More
    6 Comments
Show More Events...