maspeek

Hunter Douglas vs Graber Plantation Shutter reviews

maspeek
9 years ago
Is there a digference in the quality and price between these two companies?

Comments (47)

• wick4805
    9 years ago
    I'm searching for a similar review. I just got a quote for HD shutters of 14k, and am wondering what are the options.
  • PRO
    The Shutter Company
    9 years ago
    Both should have similar options. Here's the difference. Hunter Douglas is made in the USA and comes with a good warranty. Graber is made in Mexico, not sure of the warranty. I would hope for 14k, you are getting a boat load of shutters. Hope this us helpful. We serve the Connecticut/New York area if you are located nearby. Good luck with the project. If I had a choice I would go with HD.
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    $14,000 seems really high! How many windows do you have? I had a company in the town I live in come in and custom make mine, and it was about $5000. That was installed, too. They did a great job. I have a single story house, they did all the windows in the house except the french doors. I have 13 average size windows.
  • wick4805
    9 years ago
    36 windows and a sliding door
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Then I would say that's not too high. You do have a boatload of windows. You must have a huge house! Mine is only 3000sq ft with 10 foot ceilings...so no high windows to cover like my last house.
  • jackandjillcats
    8 years ago

Just saw this post from a couple of years ago. Any updates on this question? Thinking of wooden blinds or shades to use throughout the house.

• wick480586
    8 years ago

Went HD, probably wasn't worth the higher price. Definitely has not been without quality issues. However so far they have all been resolved.

• D T
    8 years ago

Wick - Thanks for that update.

• PRO
    Koeber's Interiors: Flooring, Furniture, Windows
    7 years ago

We install mostly Norman shutters but do carry Hunter Douglas and others. They are made in China however a couple of our owners have toured the factory and Norman's shutter department is unlike any other. Their craftsmanship and their company morals are incredible. Very different than what you would think a made in china product would come. Shutters are very custom and are labor intensive to install, so it's not surprising to get a pricey bid with them if they are going to be good. You want your installer and product to be perfect when investing in shutters. Here are a few Norman Shutters we have installed:

http://www.normanshutters.com/NormanShutterSU.asp

• Improving
    7 years ago
    What were your issues- @wick ?
  • PRO
    Two Blind Guys
    7 years ago

Hunter Douglas makes good products and if they have issues, they are the 1st to stand behind them. Definitely made the right decision in going with HD over Graber. Hope you enjoy the new shutters!

• PRO
    denise testa
    7 years ago
    i disagree with hunterdouglas standing behind their products. yes , they will repair them at no cost as long as the customer takes them down and returns them at the customer's expense. i have used Graber products for many years and they have a good warrantee and have always stood behind their product.
  • Andi
    6 years ago

I'm looking at Graber plantation shutters too. Anybody has them and can share their experience?

• PRO
    Affordable Blinds and More
    6 years ago
    I have accounts with Norman, Graber and Hunter Douglas. Norman is by far the best quality shutter at a great price. Hunter Douglas is also a great shutter but not as nice as Norman and they cost more than Norman. Graber is nice but slightly less quality than both Norman and Hunter Douglas. Graber costs about the same as Norman but costs a lot less than Hunter Douglas.
    My first choice is Norman for quality and price.
  • zebrafish1
    6 years ago

Speaking from our own experience, we wouldn't recommend Hunter Douglas shutters. We have the NewStyle hybrid shutters and the quality is simply sub-par. Customer service is not very helpful either.

• jmcdac
    6 years ago

I am looking at plantation shutters and the 3 proposal I have received are quite different. Norman is approximately twice as much, Graber was in the middle and Sunburst was the least. Has anyone had any experience with Sunburst shutters?

• PRO
    The Shutter Company
    6 years ago

Sunburst makes a nice shutter. You will have more options with Norman. Price out the Norman composite, it should be similar to Sunburst in price. A lot also depends on the company you are buying them from-that they'll handle the project well. Hope this is helpful.

• jmcdac
    6 years ago

Sunburst sells ovation wooden shutters. How do those compare to Norman shutters? Thank you for your help

• PRO
    The Shutter Company
    6 years ago

I've only worked with Sunbursts Polywood shutter, I don't know about their wood shutters. If you are going with a wood shutter, I'd recommend the Norman.

• PRO
    Finecraft Window Fashions
    6 years ago

You should look at www.finecraftshutters.com for premium quality wood shutters

• User
    5 years ago

Are Norman Woodlore Composite Custom Plantation Shutters Available in the Metro Oklahoma City, OK area? Also, do they send representatives to professionally measure & install?

• Heather Sblendorio
    5 years ago

We moved into a house with Hunter Douglas shutters and the quality is atrocious. They are 15 years old and not a single one isn't broken or warped. Apparently they come with a lifetime warranty but the warranty is with the owner, not the house--so it does me no good. I was considering replacing them but found someone who can fix ours and we have enough projects going. The repair company was unsurprised the shutters are all broken and spoke to the low quality of the poly and plastic that holds the tilt bar in place, etc. I'll have to look into Norman when I replace, and I think the repair guy mentioned that Sunburst were his preferred as well.

• hellomollydolly
    5 years ago

I am putting shutters on 4 windows. My quote from Hunter Douglas was over $7k, my quote from Norman was $4k - I'm going with Norman.

• Josie Mesa
    4 years ago

I have been getting prices for shutters and I like the Norman shutter but another salesman warned that they were made from composite materials which have formaldehyde. Is this true and if so, are they legal to bring into the US? Has there been any health issues with these shutters? Also I liked the internal mechanism shutters but the same salesman said that it's a new technology and hasn't been tested over time? Is this salesman just a nay-sayer since he's trying to sell me Hunter Douglas, or does he have valid points?

• Josie Mesa
    4 years ago

Thank you Affordable Blinds and More. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and your opinion.

• Sheldon Shuffield
    4 years ago

Anyone used EXUS Custom Shutters?

• HU-362079170
    3 years ago

What is the difference between polyvinyl resin, polyvinyl core, and composite? Which of these three is better quality? I got a price on composite and it was twice as much as polyvinyl core. HELP!!

• PRO
    The Shutter Company
    3 years ago

Composite is MDF material. Polyvinyl is more like hollow plastic. It all depends on budget. Good luck with the project.

• BK Tam
    3 years ago

Why does it matter if any of these products are made in China? iPhones are made in China. Just curious because I have never had any issues with things made in China.

• HU-354872240
    3 years ago

Does Norman have different composite models, or just one composite. I saw the Graber at a store and there was noticable sag just hanging on displauy, and bent with even the slightest pressure

• PRO
    The Shutter Company
    3 years ago

Norman has two composite materials depending on the size of the shutter. Hope this is helpful.

• HU-354872240
    3 years ago

the company I am thinking of going with uses the Woodlore (not woodlore plus). I saw the basic Graber shutter which seemed to bend/sag easily on their display, will the Norman Woodlore be as bad?

• PRO
    The Shutter Company
    3 years ago

Woodlore is a good product. I don’t have any experience with Graber.

• Jackie Sewell
    3 years ago

We have all Hunter Douglas shutters and one Graber shutter.... we went through costco/HD for the main house but forgot to do our bedroom window. We did our bedroom window a year later, but Costco no longer had HD account, they had switched to Graber. We went graber, and I must say... the quality of the vinyl plantation shutter with no tilt bar is much better on the Graber one. The graber connectors are made of metal and the HD ones are made of plastic. So over time (we had them installed in 2013), the HD connectors are constantly breaking off. We replaced the broken ones once before and it was easy, but this time we're having a hard time replacing them. The plastic connectors are now so brittle that they 're breaking inside of the window hole. Hoping HD can send someone out to repair them.

• hellomollydolly
    3 years ago

Affordable Blinds and More,

I have Graber shutter blinds in my sunroom and they SMELL awful when the sun beats on them! What am I smelling in these blinds, do you know?

Thank you!

• trillium44
    2 years ago

I just went thru a mess with Bali and Graber both owned by Spring Window. They use cheapo Fedex whose Troutdale hub is a black hole for anything shipped. Endless threads on this on Reddit. Lowes staff is sick of the complaints regarding Fedex too but execs at Lowes still support these brands. I canceled the order since they could never get it to arrive in full. I waited over and over again for delivery based on Fedex lies. Just done. The Graber brand charges way more than the Bali brand but they use the same parts! The quality control is not great since Spring Window has them made in Mexico and shipped across the border and then uses Fedex zonal shipping which is the cheapest worst black hole shipping method. The beads get sucked into the clutches way too easily. On my testing blackout and solar shades I found the blackout had glue on it which made a tearing sound with closing them. I cleaned off the glue but the glue ruined the finish on the vinyl. They sent a replacement and realized they cut the first one wrong and was narrower! Dealing with Lowes escalation department is a joke and they bully consumers when those customers have had it with all the games. They requested that I either donate the only two blinds and want me to drive around and take care of that or they wanted me to cut them up and send a picture and then put in my garbage. I told them have Fedex come pick them up since they caused most of the problems with all this. I also had to say I will then submit a claim with my credit card if they won't give me a refund. Since they want to play hardball with all this. Lowes and Spring Window do not allow you to pick the shipper either. Also with zonal cheap delivery with Fedex neither Fedex or Spring window scan the packages but load them up on pallets and ship them to regional hubs and then they are scanned and then take the slowest method to the destination. I watched how the tracking stopped at three CA cities that were not far from each other before they headed north to Oregon. Talk about your pony express. Then thru all that they lose them. Won't do that gain and won't use any online retailer that uses Fedex.

I don't mind if things take longer but I really do mind being lied to over and over. That was the worst of it. I don't like the fact that Lowes knows there is a problem with Fedex and still puts their customers thru that meat grinder shipper. I am kind of rethinking what to do with this but right now this past year with the pandemic and so many retailers lying and not being honest about availability etc I am just tabling anymore buying until things improve.

Also Fedex lost the Amazon contract this past year. I know Fedex likes to say they dumped Amazon but in realty Amazon waited till they were able to deliver 50% of everything before they made their insulting offer to Fedex. The offer was so bad Fedex had to turn it down. So I get the frustration Amazon had with Fedex and made their point that way. But I see their stock dropping and top executives cashing out more stock which they tend to cash out when the stock is doing better. So it wouldn't surprise me if Fedex finally files bankruptcy since it has had financially problems for decades. If Fedex can't be valued more during a pandemic when folks are stuck with using shippers that says a lot about the lack of confidence investors have with this company overall. Fedex saves money subbing out workers and trucks and still they can't get things done right. Whereas UPS hires their own workers, owns their own trucks and pay benefits and the staff have a vested interest to getting things done. Plus they make sure the fleet is has regular maintenance done to keep the trucks in operation. I bet they have less stealing too.

• Lea Ann Stapleton Holt
    2 years ago

We just purchaed Graber shutters from Lowes and i would not recommmend them. they came damaged and dirty.

• HU-354872240
    2 years ago

Thanks. The Norman seem to be a mid-level staple that serves most people well. One dealer says he only sells Graber because it's the Costco designated one, otherwise he wouldn't carry it due to it's low quality

• agodinez
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, was wondering if anyone has had experience with Norman wood shutters or Sunlands composite? I am looking into both after a company told us we were purchasing Norman shutters only to find out they werent Norman after install. The manufacturer they used was a small local manufacturer but the shutters had nothing but issues. Thankfully we got our money back but now we have paper blinds and are on the hunt for the right shutter. These sales guys told us they stopped using Normans because of the quality but i couldnt imagine it would be worse than what we ended up receiving. Has the quality of Normans shutter really gone down?

• Aileen
    2 years ago

Any information about wood vs composite for 4 1/2 inch slat plantation shutters with hidden bars on large picture windows . I am willing to pay more for good quality . Had sub - par shutters in our last home and between the chipping and the dysfunctional slats we do not want to go that route again . We want an all white , clean look .

• PRO
    DLM Designer/Remodeler Kitchen and Bath Plus
    last year

Graber is the best shutter. The quality is exceptional. Plus you can get them in 4-6 weeks. They are manufactured in Reynosa MX by Graber employees. Hunter Douglas sells 2 kinds of 3 kinds of shutters Wood, Composite and Palm Beach Vinyl, which is hallow and will not insulate well or hold up to direct sun. For the money Graber is the best overall Composite or Wood shutter. The price is also the best through Lowe's Shop at Home program.

• Buu Nguyen
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Hello everybody! I am going to get polywood shutters from Sunburst for 23 windows and zebra blind for 2 windows at 13K total. They are going to charge us a deposit this morning. However, I just heard about Graber from Costco. Wonder what their price and quality are compared to Sunburst. I am new to this so any advices is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I will be able to claim $1,200 tax credit with IRS so our net cost would be like $11,800.

• Bobby Tobby
    7 months ago

How do the HD NewStyle Hybrid Plantation shutters compare to Graber Composite Aluminium core plantation shutters?

• PRO
    Prestige Window Treatments Inc.
    2 months ago

We are a installation company in Tri State area , and install for all the companies, by far Norman Shutters are most well made with most options.

They can motorize almost any size or shade . AND they have a warranty to back it ..

If someone else is saying another company is because that's who they are selling ..

• PRO
    2 months ago

Hands down Normans USA has the best quality shutters

• PRO
    2 months ago

Look at all the reviews on HUNTER DOUGLAS, see what customers are saying about warranty??

Reviews speak volumes

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.