elenachristopher

Can tile be installed on the bottom of the fire place above the hearth

Elaine Stone
9 years ago
My tile man says that he cannot tile the area along the bottom of the fire place. He claims the metal that tile would be attached to would continuously expand and contract each time we had a fire and this would cause the tile to come undone. What do you think?

In our previous home we had slate tiles all around and they never came off.
Tile as is in the photo?
Tile all around the fire place opening?

Comments (8)

• Elaine Stone
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Can you tell me what the right mastic/grout might be?
  • PRO
    Marble Trend
    9 years ago
    Its all about the Grout!
    Elaine Stone thanked Marble Trend
  • Elaine Stone
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What is the proper grout?
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    9 years ago
    He is correct.
  • PRO
    Marble Trend
    9 years ago
    Porcelain & Ceramic with WIDE joints (the spacing between the tile) you should be using sanded grout. Porcelain and Natural stone with small joints 1/8th (marble/granite) you should be using unsanded ground ( 1. the sanded grout will not fit in small joints & 2. natural materials will scratch with sanded grout) GROUT IS NOT AFFECT BY HEAT! Lastly the only materials that can be affected from heat are products like Quartz (ceaserstone, silestone - this is because these materials are mixed with reins and epoxies = plastics witch can warp)

Hope this helps!
    All the Best,
    Marble Trend Team

Like our facebook page for more tips and photos!
    https://www.facebook.com/MarbleTrend
  • PRO
    Building Company Number 7, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I would not do it. Not a good application. It CAN be done but I fear long term...it would fall apart.
  • flyr4fun
    9 years ago
    Can you get a solid piece of whatever stone/tile you have on the surround? You could do it with one continuous piece of material with only a grout line on each side. Otherwise, I think your tile guy is correct. It'll last for a while, depending on how much you use the fireplace.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.