onymous

Architectural Photography...

onymous
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Do you know of any software that can digitally reverse the wide-angle perspective used so ubiquitously for interior shots? In many cases, especially on the 'tiny house' front, these pictures give a totally distorted impression of the psychological effect of the real space. When reading these articles, I would like to be able to copy the pictures to some application such as photoshop and reverse the effect of these techniques -- thereby enabling me to get a realistic impression of the space. Even better, would Houzz ever consider attaching a small small thumbnail to each image, that, when clicked, will show the same scene unadorned by by perspective manipulation?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    redteam strategies
    9 years ago
    Open up a new page in photoshop then choose 'place' and insert the image. Before you right click to 'place', you can size the image any number of ways. It won't give you a true image since the distortion was in the lens, but may be closer to the real thing.
    You can also resize the image itself using 'image size, in edit, make sure the 'keep proportion' option is turned off (I think that's the phrase).
    I prefer the first as you can watch what you're doing.
    onymous thanked redteam strategies
  • PRO
    Martin Knowles Photo/Media
    9 years ago
    DxO Viewpoint has tools for this, as does Adobe Camera Raw (and Lightroom). It's referred to as 'volume deformation', and to do it accurately requires that the tool know what lens/camera combination was used to start with (as a small mirror less will show more of this effect than, say, my big medium format digital beast).
    onymous thanked Martin Knowles Photo/Media
  • PRO
    Martin Knowles Photo/Media
    9 years ago
    And, for what it's worth, what you're seeing for the most part isn't perspective manipulation per se in the sense that things were done in post to the images, it's actually the opposite: the unnaturally wide perspective is a property of the lens used to shoot originally, and when you're dealing with really small spaces, it's tough to get realistic perspectives when you have to be so close to the subject. The same thing happens in bathrooms and powder rooms--which often actually get shot from outside the room to minimize this effect. Not always a viable option when the whole house is the size of a residential bathroom, though. :-)
    onymous thanked Martin Knowles Photo/Media
  • onymous
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. Much appreciated.
  • Phil
    9 years ago
    Wide angle lenses are common in arch photography to capture the entire space especially if the space is small. But the nature of the wide angle lens is barrel distortion. It's also a common problem in CG renderings. That being said good photographers will correct the vertical lines in Lightroom or photoshop.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.