edubya

POLL: Double or Single Front Door?

Emily H
9 years ago
Your front door is so important in setting the mood for your entire decor. Do you have a single or double front door on your home?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (92)

• janeqp88
    9 years ago
    Double or just extra wide front doors are more welcoming. And, when you need to bring a piece of furniture, an appliance, or a wheelchair in, there is some space to maneuver.
  • sanchocr
    9 years ago
    It all depends on the space you have.
    If there is room for an opening at least a 7' wide you may use a double door; otherwise I would recommend you to have a single door.
  • Paula Tait
    9 years ago
    We have a double front door and it's a beautiful presentation. I am in the process of selecting which color to paint the doors since we are repainting the entire house with a gorgeous rich tan color! The color of the front doors is so important! I also love the double front door when we move furniture in and out of the house! It gives us easy access to the upstairs!
  • wluckeroth
    9 years ago
    I posted my dream come true entranceway door. Several liked my posting, so here's the design including stain glass for the door & side windows for anyone interested.
  • 2manyhorses
    9 years ago
    I have a 3' wide french door with side lites and a transom that gives me a 5' x 8' wall of "windows" with only one door. Love the light and live in the country so privacy is a non-issue.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    @wluckeroth, that is a beautiful door. I am looking into a bit more modern stained glass for our future door. I have some ideas, but for now it's going to be just ideas:)
  • mvaussie
    9 years ago
    I like oversized single doors. More welcoming than a small single door and better looking than a double door and lets face it, besides moving, how often do you use both doors at once?
  • lake1114
    9 years ago
    Our current house has a single door with double sidelights which is OK. Our previous house had a double door which I prefer. I agree with others who say it makes for a very grand entrance. Nowadays, however, there a certainly elegant single door choices as well. And it certainly does depend on the architecture of the house not to mention how much room there is for a front door.
  • interestedindesign
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like a larger, single door, beautifully framed, substantial hardware, nice little porch with a bead boarded ceiling from which a substantial lamp fixture hangs. Add some plants, flowers, whatever, and you've got a beautiful entrance.
  • tac4
    9 years ago
    it depends on the scale and proportion of the house...no single answer is correct
  • gregmedina
    9 years ago
    I currently have a 3' single and solid-core door with floor-to-ceiling unobstructed glass side-lights to each side that are also 3' wide each for a total of a 9' door- wall and I've never liked it. Would consider double doors of thermal-paned glass for the midwestern climate that also have the mini-blinds sandwiched between the panes of glass for privacy and that I can raise a foot off the floor so that our small dogs can "guard" the house when we're away during the day. My biggest concern is focused on security so I want to stick with a solid core door(s), though living in a rural cul-de-sac, that shouldn't be a big issue, but having grown-up in NYC behind 4 locks on the door and a steel bar to prevent the apartment door being opened from the outside, I still think that glass doors are kind of foolish and I am not likely to do a glass door when I re-do the front entrance whether it is a single or double door, so this discussion is really timely and appreciated...thanks.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I love my double front door. My house is based on a Charleston "single house" with the perceived front door on the narrow end and opening onto the lower piazza. From there, you ascend the stairs to the upper piazza and the actual front door is midway down the length of the house. I'm perched on a mountain side, so this arrangement offers some great views.
  • kkaccordion
    9 years ago
    I have a large single front door. It's substantial & beautiful. Most people who have a double door use only one of them anyway. Reminds me if the Brady Bunch.
  • foreverfarm11
    9 years ago
    my front door is single - but I would love a double!
  • Ztahokie
    9 years ago
    We have double glass doors in our house. We have an 8' ceilings so they are not the height I would prefer, but we gave up house size and style to be on the water. Our last house had 9' & cathedral ceilings. We had 8' double glass doors with a barrel ceiling entry. Loved them. I am a huge fan of double doors since I find the need for the extra wide opening more often than previously thought. I would not want to go back to a single door.
  • PRO
    JFF Design Architects
    9 years ago
    Dear foreverfarm11 ....can you share a photo of your overall front view (elevation)? You can send it privately if you wish too.....
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I don't believe that the choice is ONLY between a single door and a double door entry way. There are many factors to consider when selecting the main entry door. Some of the things that should be taken into consideration are: Personal preference, scale, use & size, style/color and facade.
  • PRO
    Budget Blinds Serving Centennial
    9 years ago
    It really depends on the style and build of the home; some just aren't set up for grand double doors but others really need that kind of design.
  • wluckeroth
    9 years ago
    My new door with matching stainglass side panels hasn't been installed yet. The entranceway will be wheel chair and walker friendly, so my elderly mother can visit. Also, you never know when a guest, friend, or you will need it.
  • ilovepaper
    9 years ago
    We have a single craftsman-style door with a speak-easy window in it. I love the design but wish we had double doors for the simple reason that moving in furniture is so much easier with a double door!
  • SylviaSid
    9 years ago
    I love our double doors! We just purchased our home a few months ago and the doors definitely feel welcoming.
  • Jordan Rose
    9 years ago
    I have double french doors as I prefer the look of double doors over single. In Barbados where I live it is a common practice to build houses with main double entry doors.
  • Carolyn Scott
    9 years ago
    A single Dutch door!
  • Nancy Marshall
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Either is fine as long as it's in proportion to the entire house - otherwise it could look a little odd. The color of the door also makes a difference in the overall impact.
  • krootje
    9 years ago
    There are 3(!) doors in our home right now: 1 at the back and 2 in the living room! Don't ask me why about the 2 doors in the living room but the former owners must have had a "misty day"....
    In our new to be build home we would like to have double doors, but living in the country and we are probably gonna use the back door anyway it's gonna be a waist of money! So, both back and front is going to be single!
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I love double doors...but a single larger door is awesome too...especially for moving things in and out!
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    wide single with extra wide side lights. All three have 2/3 glass. I am not paranoid about people seeing inside!
  • FeelsLike Heaven
    9 years ago
    Double doors! Our vacation house rental in Lake Naomi, Poconos PA has double doors, actually it has two sets of double doors upstairs and downstairs. Opening the doors to let fresh air in the summer and the feeling double doors have when you enter the house can't be beat!

http://Feels-Like-Heaven.com
  • Eva Lutz
    9 years ago
    unless a house is on the small size double entrance doors are much more attractive and welcoming
  • rockxman
    9 years ago
    As someone with 30+ years in W&Ds, use double doors if air and water infiltration is not a concern. Few are truly engineered to have long term efficiency.
  • Momof5x
    9 years ago
    Definitely double doors, easier to get furniture into house, easier access for people in wheelchairs too.
  • PRO
    FurreverYours
    9 years ago
    I have a single door but would love double doors! #BeSeenBeSafe
  • rockxman
    9 years ago
    Yes momof5x, which brings us to the #1 rule of doors, MAKE THEM WIDE-EVERYWHERE! Elderly, handicapped, and movers will appreciate this. Almost every appliance and piece of furniture will go through a 36" door.
  • Holly Cooper
    9 years ago
    I really like the look of double doors but I remember whenever I would sell Girl Scout cookies as a kid that I never knew which door to look at (for when the person opened the door). Also, when you're leaving, it can be awkward with double doors (cause usually one is locked all the time and you only really use 1 door anyway. yes, it's handy for moving, but i think as a general, day-to-day thing, a single door is best (with side lights and/or glass in the door itself). :]
  • wluckeroth
    9 years ago
    My entranceway doors, front and backyard, have both been installed (see my earlier posts), so I will share them. Enjoy!
  • wluckeroth
    9 years ago
    Here's the backyard door.
  • wluckeroth
    9 years ago
    Remodeling prior to moving is so much better than while you're living there.
  • Elsa
    9 years ago
    Love look of double, but voted double. Builder told us that in cold winters where we live, single is better so no draft coming in. He said even with best quality building and products, double will get drafts in eventually. Maybe due to wood changing (with temperature and humidity changes) over time or house settling?
    We have a very wide & tall wood door, stained dark, (with an amazing protection-sealant of course!). Love it!
  • lisagp
    9 years ago

I live in a 1950's split level home with a single door. We are getting ready to change doors and my husband wants a double door. We don't have a large foyer so I'm wondering if there are any "rules of thumb" for how bit the foyer should be to accommodate a double door entry or if we should stay with a single door entry.......

• Trish cowling
    7 years ago

I voted other because I love the idea of a large or oversized single front door!

• Judy Cowell
    4 years ago

Has anyone with double front doors had issues with wind howling, rattling, etc? Building materials company is trying to diswade us from double

• shars55
    4 years ago

Judy, I had double doors on the house I just sold, and they did rattle a bit when it was really windy. I lived in a place that got EXTREMELY windy at times, however. They were fine most of the time. It didn’t bother me.

• commonsense202
    2 years ago

I am renovating a 1950s ranch. Doing German Schmere on bricks and using black windows. Entrance has metal roof and deep brown or black square columns. Choosing between two panel deep brown/blue doors or a large pivoting horizontal panel door (worried it's too modern)

• mmmunroe
    2 years ago

I have a double but just about to change to a 42" wide door with two side lights. A handyman showed me how easy it is to break into double doors and I was sold on the change. We did go for 42" wide door so that we can move large items in through the front but we have double doors in other areas of the house if we ever get into trouble. I would make sure the single door is as wide as possible!

from double with transom to single door, no transom (to be installed end of month).

Much more welcoming feel and will look great during the holidays!

• commonsense202
    2 years ago

Lovely!!

• commonsense202
    2 years ago

That's what I am doing.

• commonsense202
    2 years ago

Tell me, what door is that?

• commonsense202
    2 years ago

Sorry 4 multiple posts. If I buy the same configuration, what is the brand, etc. I am in NJ.

• mmmunroe
    2 years ago

It's a fibreglass custom made door by a company in Ontario. The only issue with the larger door at 42" wide and 8' tall is that the door requires a 5 point door lockset to carry the weight. It is more expensive than a regular lockset (double) but will help carry the weight of the door.

• commonsense202
    2 years ago

Ok. I was told something similar. Thanks.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.