bekkyboo7

Timber sliding stacker doors really worth it?

bekkyboo7
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We have two sets of stacker doors in an L shape out onto our back deck in our new home. One is 3 panel, the other is 4 panel. I would like to have timber but after numerous conversations with friends, I have been convinced that spotted gum floorboards, timber stacker doors and then a timber deck will be too much. For this reason I would now like to have white timber stacker doors. Our builder thinks we might as well go with aluminium if we are going white. I would love some opinions about this and/or any photos of white painted timber stackers OR timber stackers with timber floor and timber deck. Thanks :)

Open Living Room / Family Room · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    David Wilkes Design
    9 years ago
    I would say aluminium frame doors would save you a bit of money for sure, if that was the reason for the suggestion. I tend to agree, that if you are going to paint them white then you lose the effect really of them being timber to a large degree. Timber doors traditionally have a thicker profile, so perhaps commercial frame aluminium stacker doors (if not commercial frame already) may give you more of the sturdier frame look. All the best.
    bekkyboo7 thanked David Wilkes Design
  • PRO
    Uniq Building Group
    9 years ago
    Agreed with the builder, only due to maintenance. The aluminum doors have longevity and can achieve the rustic vintage effect to suit the deck. The timber is a pain in the long term although pretty in the early years. Best of luck!
    bekkyboo7 thanked Uniq Building Group
  • bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thankyou everyone. I will put away my love for timber and go for the practical aluminium. :) Ill feature the timber indoors and save myself the hassle. I appreciate the advice.
  • LesleyH
    9 years ago
    Surfmist is a great colour in aluminium doors. Make sure you work out how you are going to flyscreen them before proceeding with any company.
  • PRO
    Adrian Ramsay Design House
    9 years ago
    hey bekkyboo7 things to consider with aluminum doors and windows, they have lower maintenance and better weather seals.....
    in saying that the color is a big consideration, white is great although i generally use anodised silver, this way it often blends with the backgrounds better depending on your outlooks and views as well as it is very neutral against furnishings and coloured feature walls.
    anodized is a much nicer finish than powder coating as well as it has no sheen to it and looks "softer"
    its my design you have in the photo attached to this conversation
    cheers adrian
  • PRO
    Bayside Security Doors and Blinds
    9 years ago
    make sure use a company that has flyscreen tracks built in.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.