brendasilva

Is this concrete floor on a raised foundation or a concrete foundation

Brenda Silva
9 years ago
We are building a house and I would like a concrete floor in the kitchen. We have a raised foundation so Ii don't know if it's possible or common to put concrete over the sub-floor due to cracking.
Concrete Floored Abode - a cabin on Lake Wenatchee · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Gelotte Hommas Drivdahl Architecture
    8 years ago

Thanks for the question, brendasilva. It is possible to lay concrete over a raised foundation without cracking if done carefully. Here is a link that suggests ways to prepare and prime the subfloor to prevent cracking in the concrete: http://www.duraamen.com/blog/concrete-resurfacing-over-wood-or-plywood-substrates/#.VVOx_9OUC70.

Brenda Silva thanked Gelotte Hommas Drivdahl Architecture
  • Jeff Bridges
    8 years ago

The concrete floor looks really great! I wouldn't have guessed that it was actually concrete. What kind of finish does it have to give the glossy brown look to it? http://jlgfloors.com

• PRO
    Studio M Engineers
    7 years ago

The success of a concrete topping over a wood framed floor depends a lot on the structural ability of the floor.....to much flex and improper control joints, and you will have excessive cracking. Also, keep in mind that concrete cracks.....there is no way around that. It is impractical to expect a zero crack floor system when concrete is involved. A structural engineer will be able to recommend some options to stiffening your floor so it can successfully support a concrete topping. Finally, as others have pointed out, concrete is very durable...great for that young family. It is also very difficult to walk on in terms of the 'human body' design. Floors with little to no flex, and a hard surface = worn out legs at the end of a long day, making it a very poor floor choice for older folks. Best of luck.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.